Sunday, September 01, 2024 — Houston, TX

Campesino Coffee brings color to Montrose

By Thresher Staff and Melody Yip     2/22/16 9:11pm

Montrose might as well be a coffee shop neighborhood. A new place called Campesino Coffee House recently opened on Waugh Drive two weeks ago. It’s a faded brick house outlined with streaks of bright turquoise and fuchsia that’s been refurbished into a quiet, mellow java nook with numerous rooms. Small tables, booths, a counter and plenty of comfy sofas organize the large space, creating a bit of a maze along with the vintage, quirky decor. For those wanting to camp out for a day of studying, never fear — there is a multitude of outlets.

Campesino has attracted much attention with a unique menu that aims to bring a bit of Latino coffee culture to the table. Instead of the typical sleek, minimalist brews that coffee purists love, you’ll find beverages ranging from horchata lattes to Mayan mochas flecked with cayenne pepper and paprika. Cafe de olla, fragrant with cinnamon and sweet piloncillo, is served in round earthenware mugs. For non-caffeinated options, try the chan (hibiscus lemonade chock full of chia seeds) or vampiro juice (beet, carrot and orange juice).

I noticed that Campesino loves beet juice because the barista actually suggested that I try a beet juice-infused mocha. A marriage between V8 and chocolate? But the baristas insisted on its top-notch taste, so I caved. (Tip: Nondairy milks offered are coconut and almond.)

The drink was a stunning hue, a brilliant magenta tinted a bit dark. It tasted slightly earthy with subtle notes of chocolate, but the coffee dominated the flavors. Think smoky yet sweet with a nice, creamy consistency. The unexpected pairing of java with beets proved to be a beautiful, delicious match. I can already see myself guzzling down lots of these in the future. After all, masking vegetables in my coffee seems too good to be true. For a trip outside the Rice hedges, check out Campesino Coffee House for grungy vibes and suave, Latino-style drinks that’ll keep you company as you tackle the books.

Address: 2602 Waugh Dr. Houston, TX 77006

“Imaginal Disk” Takes Magdalena Bay To Extraterrestrial Heights

In the fall of 2021, pop duo Magdalena Bay’s playful debut album “Mercurial World” introduced many to the group’s blend of catchy pop melodies with elements of House, R&B and Electronic music. That album became one of the most acclaimed and beloved pop albums of the decade so far, and few would have imagined that the duo of Mica Tenenbaum and Matthew Lewin would top their previous effort when their latest project “Imaginal Disk” was announced. With “Imaginal Disk,” Magdalena Bay has announced themselves as the contemporary masters of the pop concept album. More psychedelic and surreal than anything they’ve produced before, “Imaginal Disk” is an eclectic amalgam of the duo’s trademark catchy pop rhythms with electronic, rock and psychedelic sounds that take the duo into new and exciting musical directions.

Local thrifting hot spots

Perseverance. Humility. An eye for beauty. Qualities you must keep close at hand (perhaps in the back pocket of your favorite jeans, or tucked into your worn-down sneakers), ready to be drawn upon at a moment’s notice. Any seasoned, stylish or frugal Houstonian can attest: these are vital components of a thrifter’s repertoire.

Nearby city niceties

Do you have a time in your calendar that needs filling, but don’t want to spend thirty minutes walking in the August heat or $30 on admission? Consider checking out one or more of these activities within  one mile of Rice — all free or discounted with a Rice ID.