Monday, August 26, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Campesino Coffee brings color to Montrose

By Thresher Staff and Melody Yip     2/22/16 9:11pm

Montrose might as well be a coffee shop neighborhood. A new place called Campesino Coffee House recently opened on Waugh Drive two weeks ago. It’s a faded brick house outlined with streaks of bright turquoise and fuchsia that’s been refurbished into a quiet, mellow java nook with numerous rooms. Small tables, booths, a counter and plenty of comfy sofas organize the large space, creating a bit of a maze along with the vintage, quirky decor. For those wanting to camp out for a day of studying, never fear — there is a multitude of outlets.

Campesino has attracted much attention with a unique menu that aims to bring a bit of Latino coffee culture to the table. Instead of the typical sleek, minimalist brews that coffee purists love, you’ll find beverages ranging from horchata lattes to Mayan mochas flecked with cayenne pepper and paprika. Cafe de olla, fragrant with cinnamon and sweet piloncillo, is served in round earthenware mugs. For non-caffeinated options, try the chan (hibiscus lemonade chock full of chia seeds) or vampiro juice (beet, carrot and orange juice).

I noticed that Campesino loves beet juice because the barista actually suggested that I try a beet juice-infused mocha. A marriage between V8 and chocolate? But the baristas insisted on its top-notch taste, so I caved. (Tip: Nondairy milks offered are coconut and almond.)

The drink was a stunning hue, a brilliant magenta tinted a bit dark. It tasted slightly earthy with subtle notes of chocolate, but the coffee dominated the flavors. Think smoky yet sweet with a nice, creamy consistency. The unexpected pairing of java with beets proved to be a beautiful, delicious match. I can already see myself guzzling down lots of these in the future. After all, masking vegetables in my coffee seems too good to be true. For a trip outside the Rice hedges, check out Campesino Coffee House for grungy vibes and suave, Latino-style drinks that’ll keep you company as you tackle the books.

Address: 2602 Waugh Dr. Houston, TX 77006

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

Lollapalooza Survival Guide

Summer is here, which means festival season. Chicago is prepping for Lollapalooza, its annual four-day festival in scenic Grant Park. This year’s lineup is packed with musical sensations like Childish Gambino, Twenty One Pilots, Ariana Grande and more. In addition to their high-profile headliners, the festival will also be welcoming a diverse range of rising artists. 

Now playing: Lollapalooza 2019 artists to listen to

Though it’s not as flamboyant as Coachella or as conveniently located as Austin City Limits, Lollapalooza, which will take place over four days starting this Thursday, is an iconic summer affair that kicks off festival season with a bang.