Volleyball overcomes illness to defeat Florida teams

f393fa37d0f03b9d6565cefad52144fa
Photo by Sean Chu | Thresher | The Rice Thresher

Redshirt senior outside hitter Noelle Whitlock attacks Florida Atlantic University’s double block during a 3-0 victory on Sept. 27. Rice opened its conference schedule by shutting out both its opponents over the weekend. The Owls are now 12-4 overall, including 2-0 in Conference USA play.

9/30/15 6:01am

The Rice Owls volleyball team faced an unanticipated foe this week when 11 Owls fell victim to a contagious stomach virus. Before this major setback, the week was already scheduled to be a difficult one with three Conference USA matches. On Tuesday, however, the team was forced to postpone their match against the University of Texas, San Antonio Roadrunners because of the team-wide illness. The match will be rescheduled for a date to be determined.

The Roadrunners were picked to finish second in Conference USA in the preseason coaches’ poll behind Western Kentucky University. The Owls were picked to finish third. The next scheduled match between the two teams is on Oct. 16 in San Antonio, but the rescheduled match may occur before then.

The Owls played both of their scheduled matches later in the week. Rice swept Florida International University 3-0 and Florida Atlantic University 3-0 to open their Conference USA season. Following the victory against FIU, Head Coach Genny Volpe said she was proud of the team’s perseverance.

“It was definitely a challenging week,” Volpe said. “But [the team] came out today and looked much better than I expected.”

After playing two matches in three days following the illness, the players were physically drained. Senior Noelle Whitlock said mental toughness was the key to their success during the weekend victories.

“We definitely were physically a little exhausted after everything we’ve been through this week,” Whitlock said. “But the mental side for us was strong and it helped us get through it.”

Volpe also commended the team’s mental fortitude following the victory over FAU.

“I think what stood out to us today was just the mental toughness of the team once again,” Volpe said. “They showed it early in the preseason and they continue to show it in spurts.”

The Owls are currently 12-4, their best start to the season since 2009 when they won the Conference USA championship and qualifi ed for the NCAA tournament. If Rice wishes to replicate the success of that season, the team will have to perform strongly over its next stretch of matches. Each of the Owls’ next 13 matches are against Conference USA opponents, not including the conference tournament and the rescheduled match against UTSA.

The Owls’ next match will be against the University of North Texas Mean Green (10-8, 2-1 Conference USA) on Friday, Oct. 2 at 7 p.m.