Wednesday, May 01, 2024 — Houston, TX

What's hip right now

e8b05600e473be08b93243cad85fa965
Photo by GUY COCHRAN | The Rice Thresher
KTRU Concert

By Sophie Newman     4/15/15 9:55am

The Thresher picks the hippest stuff you should know about right now.

ART SCENE:

Emoji art

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="24785026-e3aa-11e4-b178-ab042c8cdeeb"}}

In a phrase: Meta art from rapper and emoji lover

Where to find it: streetart.withgoogle.com

BOOK:

God Help the Child

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="56bb15c8-e3aa-11e4-ab80-534b6a83d043"}}

In a phrase: High expectation for Morrison's latest

Where to find it: Pre-order on Amazon, Barnes & Nobles

Toni Morrison fans should look out for God Help the Child, the Nobel laureate’s most recent creation, which will be released at the end of the month. Her first novel set in the present, God Help the Child explores the ways traumatic childhoods can have a major impact on adults’ lives. With 11 novels, a Pulitzer Prize, an American Book Award, a Nobel Prize and a Presidential Medal of Freedom under her belt, Morrison still has expressed no interest in retiring. 

TRENDING:

Living Dolls

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="262753ba-e3a3-11e4-936b-afdb694afa58"}}

In a phrase: Stop-motion doll videos pervade the Internet.

Where to find it: YouTube

For those who enjoyed Chucky, you will probably be pleased to hear about the doll videos taking over YouTube. If you ever thought American Girl dolls were a little too lifelike, apparently you weren’t the only one. Using stop-motion technology, users have been able to create mini scenes of their dolls acting out real-life situations. While it’s not clear who exactly is watching these creepy clips, there’s no denying they have a large audience, with many videos surpassing 1 million views. 

MUSIC: 

waxahatchee

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="47fb921a-e3aa-11e4-96eb-d7ca1f9eb315"}}

In a phrase: Highly anticipated album from indie idol

Where to find it: Spotify, iTunes

Her debut album American Weekend catapulted her to the stage of indie singer-songwriter superstars, and now, Katie Crutchfield, the engineer of the band Waxahatchee, returns to the stage with Ivy Tripp. Since 2012, Crutchfield has charmed audiences with her ghostly vocals, simple guitar melodies and thoughtful lyrics. In an interview with Spin, she describes the essence of her new album: “People wandering through life or trying to find things that make them happy without conforming to the structure previous generations had.”