Friday, October 18, 2019 — Houston, TX 65°

Goldwater scholars named at Rice

fab74bba288b242f27a5d66d20bf3467
Kenny Groszman

By Helen Wei     4/15/15 10:17am

Undergraduates Peter Cabeceiras, Kenny Groszman, and Eric Sung were named 2015-16 Goldwater scholars for their academic achievements from a pool of more than 1,200 nominees. 

Wiess College junior Cabeceiras is majoring in biochemistry and cell biology and conducts reserch on cancer cells. He also writes for the research journal Catalyst and mentors high school students.

Groszman, a Hanszen College sophomore, is a bioengineering major and computational and applied mathematics minor planning to pursue a career in synthetic biology. Groszman previously worked on a project that won the Texas Department of Transportation’s College Challenge.

Lovett College senior and CAAM and mathematics major Eric Sung is currently researching neurons in locusts and hopes to pursue a doctorate in neuroscience. Sung is also a member of the dance group Funkonomics Crew.

The Barry M. Goldwater scholarship consists of $7,500 toward tuition, fees, books and room and board, and is given to students pursuing mathematics, natural sciences and engineering.

Palantir visit prompts petition, protest

More than 150 Rice University community members have signed a petition urging the department of computer science to drop Palantir Technologies from a computer science mixer event on the evening of Oct. 10, due to contention over Palantir’s ongoing contracts with U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.