Monday, September 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Goldwater scholars named at Rice

fab74bba288b242f27a5d66d20bf3467
Kenny Groszman

By Helen Wei     4/15/15 10:17am

Undergraduates Peter Cabeceiras, Kenny Groszman, and Eric Sung were named 2015-16 Goldwater scholars for their academic achievements from a pool of more than 1,200 nominees. 

Wiess College junior Cabeceiras is majoring in biochemistry and cell biology and conducts reserch on cancer cells. He also writes for the research journal Catalyst and mentors high school students.

Groszman, a Hanszen College sophomore, is a bioengineering major and computational and applied mathematics minor planning to pursue a career in synthetic biology. Groszman previously worked on a project that won the Texas Department of Transportation’s College Challenge.

Lovett College senior and CAAM and mathematics major Eric Sung is currently researching neurons in locusts and hopes to pursue a doctorate in neuroscience. Sung is also a member of the dance group Funkonomics Crew.

The Barry M. Goldwater scholarship consists of $7,500 toward tuition, fees, books and room and board, and is given to students pursuing mathematics, natural sciences and engineering.

Rice among minority of peer institutions to hold in-person classes

U.S. News & World Report’s Top 20 colleges have adopted varying reopening plans and testing strategies for the fall semester. Rice, which has maintained a low positivity rate on COVID tests, joins only five other Top 20 institutions — the University of Chicago, the University of Notre Dame, Duke University, Vanderbilt University and Cornell University — in offering a hybrid or in-person classroom experience for the fall.

Ronald Stebbings, professor emeritus and former dean, passes

Ronald Stebbings, professor emeritus of space physics and astronomy and former dean of undergraduates, passed away on Aug. 27 at age 91. Stebbings is survived by his two sons, Vernon Stebbings (Will Rice College ‘78) and Martin Stebbings (Sid Richardson College ‘83).