Wednesday, May 22, 2024 — Houston, TX

Goldwater scholars named at Rice

fab74bba288b242f27a5d66d20bf3467
Kenny Groszman

By Helen Wei     4/15/15 10:17am

Undergraduates Peter Cabeceiras, Kenny Groszman, and Eric Sung were named 2015-16 Goldwater scholars for their academic achievements from a pool of more than 1,200 nominees. 

Wiess College junior Cabeceiras is majoring in biochemistry and cell biology and conducts reserch on cancer cells. He also writes for the research journal Catalyst and mentors high school students.

Groszman, a Hanszen College sophomore, is a bioengineering major and computational and applied mathematics minor planning to pursue a career in synthetic biology. Groszman previously worked on a project that won the Texas Department of Transportation’s College Challenge.

Lovett College senior and CAAM and mathematics major Eric Sung is currently researching neurons in locusts and hopes to pursue a doctorate in neuroscience. Sung is also a member of the dance group Funkonomics Crew.

The Barry M. Goldwater scholarship consists of $7,500 toward tuition, fees, books and room and board, and is given to students pursuing mathematics, natural sciences and engineering.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.