Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Track and field competes in NCAA indoor championships

7297a080017659221848556d460e443d
Photo by Courtesy Rice Athletics Communications | The Rice Thresher
Scott Filip

By Aniket Tolpadi     3/17/15 6:09pm

This past weekend, Rice competed in the 2015 NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The competition saw the University of Oregon win a second consecutive championship in the men’s competition. Oregon had also won the previous five championships on the women’s side of the draw, though that streak was broken this year as the University of Arkansas earned their first ever women’s title. On the men’s side, the Owls tied for 62nd place out of 87 schools, while the women’s side tied for 52nd place out of 81 schools.

The Owls had several notable performances at the championships in the both the men’s and women’s competitions. On the men’s side, senior Chris Pillow impressed with his finish in the pole vault, as the senior’s 5.40-meter jump tied for seventh-best in the field. This finish earned the Owls a point in the team standings. Ben Pressley, a senior who finished 13th in the long jump, as well as sophomore Scott Filip, who finished 14th in the 60-meter heptathlon, had notable finishes. On the women’s side, senior Claire Uke earned a point for her team with an eighth-place finish in the shot put with a best mark of 17.14 meters.

With his performance, Pillow earned First-Team All-American status, while Filip and Pressley garnered Second-Team All-American honors with theirs. Similarly, Uke also earned First-Team All-American status for her performance.

Both track teams will now move on to the outdoor track season, which will span the remainder of the semester and end deep into June with the NCAA Outdoor and USA Track and Field Championships. 

Former Rice star runner turned ultramarathon champion

Think, for a moment, about how far 45 miles is. 15 times the distance around the outer loop. Almost the distance from Houston to Galveston. Not only did Rice alumna Nicole Mericle run 45 miles at the Grand Traverse Run Ultramarathon on Sept. 5, but she also won the entire female race in her first-ever ultramarathon race. 

IM sports adjust to distancing protocols

At Rice, weekends in fall are typically rife with uproarious cries from flag football players draped in their college’s colors. Camaraderie, competition and championship hopes brew amongst the teams as each game marks a new memory for the students to share. Although this year is marked by the absence of traditional intramural sports due to COVID-19, the passion students harbor for sport is still ever-present.  

Football freshmen adjust to student-athlete life

With numerous college football programs across the nation starting their season this past weekend, there has been an increased focus on freshmen football players who are transitioning to the rigor and toughness of college football while also trying to navigate through the precarious situation presented by the coronavirus pandemic.