Friday, May 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

It's late night, and you're hungry ...

58fc6504088fb5d6db1d05888c77176e
Photo by Courtesy Go Places | The Rice Thresher
Genji, Westheimer

By Kaylen Strench, Arts and Entertainment Editor     1/21/15 4:12am

It’s a Saturday night, you’re covered in sweat and beer, and the thought of dancing anymore at the Duncan public party makes you want to puke. More importantly, however, you are starving — like willing-to-eat-dog-food starving. Fortunately, you made the decision to go to school in a big, concentrated city instead of some northeastern college planted in a rural Pennsylvania field. And that, my friend, means you have access to some truly superb late night bites. These places have everything you could ever want in a 2 a.m. meal — grease, flavor and enormous portions. Remember, calories don’t count between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. (It’s scientific.) 

For the Sandwich Lover

Katz’s Deli

Hours: Open 24 hours

Location: 616 Westheimer

Food: Like ridiculously stuffed sandwiches. They’re beautiful. Also breakfast, pasta, soup, salad and some entrees like chicken, beef and fish.

The appeal: Katz’s is a Houston favorite — it’s been around for over 30 years and is completely locally based. You’re probably going to have to Uber it, because it’s off Westheimer, but it’s about a 10-minute drive max.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="6e284d32-a18a-11e4-b688-3f5333aba1f4"}}

For the Tex-Mex Fan

Chacho’s 

Hours: Open 24 hours

Location: 6006 Westheimer

Food: Tex-Mex. They have all the Mexican staples, but they’re known in particular for their nachos and awesome margaritas — they won awards for both a couple of years back. There’s also a humongous salsa bar.

The appeal: Chacho’s is a sketchy upgrade from Taco Cabana. It’s definitely a hole-in-the-wall kind of place, but the food’s really good and you get huge portions for super cheap. A nice option if you want to eat Tex-Mex on a plate rather than out of an aluminum foil wrapper.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="57df2abe-a18a-11e4-a59b-3308ce4c658b"}}

For the Adventurous One

BB’s Cafe

Hours: Open until 2 a.m. on weekends

Location: 3139 Richmond

Food: They call it “Tex-Orleans,” which essentially boils down to Cajun food with a twist. They pride themselves on staples like shrimp and grits, po-boys and late-night favorites like fried pickles and nachos.

The appeal: First, BB’s is one of the few places that offers a unique late-night food experience. They have standard options like burgers and fries, if that’s what you’re in the mood for, but their enormous menu offers much more. Second, they’re incredibly accessible — there are locations on Kirby and Montrose, and they also offer takeout and catering.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="357a18da-a18a-11e4-b6ac-73c97078466f"}}

For the Traditionalist

59 Diner

Hours: Open 24 hours

Location: 3801 Farnham

Food: All the wonderful, greasy, bad-for-you stuff that is never more appealing than at 2 a.m. The malts and milkshakes are surreal, as are the generous breakfast options. 

The appeal: 59 is not only a Houston institution, it’s a Rice institution. If you haven’t been, it’s an experience you need to have before you graduate. The authentic diner vibe and old-fashioned shakes make you feel like you’ve stepped into a 60s movie, and it’s super close to campus — only a short walk or bike ride away.

For the Karaoke Singer

Genji

Hours: Open until 2 a.m. on weekends

Location: 11124 Westheimer

Food: Top-notch Japanese at a good price. Main attractions are the noodles, the sake and the kabobs.

The appeal: Genji’s ideal for cheap and fast late-night without the fuss of a more upscale place. It boasts a karaoke bar, straightforward, good service and everything you would expect food-wise from a mid-scale Japanese place.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a7a6390c-a18a-11e4-bfd0-4f6bb28a58ce"}}