Basketball wins in overtime

ba11117c8faadde30c08b1651e18528c
Photo by PJ Ward-Brown | The Rice Thresher

Rice Owls guard Marcus Jackson #22 shoots over Charlotte 49ers guard Torin Dorn #2 in a CUSA men's basketball game at Halton Arena in Charlotte, NC on Saturday, January 17,2015. Jackson had 14 points in the first half. PJ Ward-Brown Photography

By Kevin Mohanram     1/21/15 2:46pm

Men’s basketball won their fifth game of the season, defeating the University of North Carolina, Charlotte 66-63 on Jan. 17 after losing to Old Dominion University 63-53 on Jan. 15.

Trailing by six points with 80 seconds remaining in the game, the Owls defense held the 49ers scoreless in the final three and a half minutes of regulation to force overtime.

Rice never trailed in the extra period, hitting four of five shots from the field and going four for four from the free throw line en route to securing the 66-63 victory. Senior forward Seth Gearhart scored 16 of his 18 total points in the second half, and sophomore guard Marcus Jackson led the team with 20 points in the game.

Head Coach Mike Rhoades said the team performed well in the final minutes when the game’s outcome was in doubt.

“We were down [by] six with about 1:20 left, and we just did a really good job fighting back,” Rhoades said. “I was really proud of our guys. They played with a level of toughness and resolve late in the game that really helped us.”

According to Rhoades, the team’s strengths cannot be measured by the team’s 5-11 overall record.

“We really think we could play with anybody in the league,” Rhoades said. “The biggest thing is not the standings and the records. [It’s that] with six minutes on the clock we want to be in the game and give ourselves a chance to win.”

The victory against UNC Charlotte marked the first win following a three-game losing streak for Rice. According to Rhoades, the team has been steadily improving throughout the year and should compete better in the second half of the season.

“We’re excited; we’re moving forward,” Rhoades said. “We’re getting better, and we have a lot of guys contributing and improving here. It’s confidence play, and we’re excited about that.”

The Owls have two home games coming up next week against the University of Southern Mississippi and Louisiana Tech University. Rhoades said he is excited to return to Tudor Fieldhouse and hopes the home field advantage will energize the team.

“[They’re] two very good basketball programs,” Rhoades said. “We will definitely have our hands full, but we’re excited to be back home with the students here. We really want the students to get out and really support our team. Let’s have some fun.”

The game against Southern Miss will tip off at 7 p.m Thursday, Jan. 22 at Tudor Fieldhouse. The Owls will play their second straight home game  Saturday, Jan. 24 against Louisiana Tech at 7 p.m.