Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Students should remember original purpose of 40K

By Thresher Editorial Board     11/5/14 5:51am

The Student Association is soliciting suggestions for how to spend $40,000 of leftover sums from the Rice Endowment for Sustainable Energy Technology’s blanket tax, which was approved in 2010 and dissolved in 2013 (see p.1).

While the SA said it will consider all proposals, including those not explicitly concerned with sustainability or environmental issues, the Thresher believes students should focus their proposals on on-campus sustainability efforts. Though $40,000 can be used in many exciting and eccentric ways, students have an obligation to see that it is spent on sustainability initiatives.

Rice students voted in 2010 to allocate $9 in blanket tax money to RESET, and the selected proposal should honor that intent. Though RESET was not reapproved three years later, it was due to insufficient voter turnout, not lack of student sentiment.

Students would not only honor the intent of those who voted for the blanket tax in the first place by creating proposals geared toward sustainability, but they would also take a crucial step in making Rice more environmentally conscious. Many on-campus sustainability efforts could be introduced or expanded, and $40,000 can go a long way toward that goal.

For instance, Rice’s recycling system can be improved. Money could be spent on installing more outdoor recycling bins — all outdoor trash cans should be accompanied by recycling bins, and students should not have to go out of their way to recycle. Further, money could go toward better educating Rice students on what can and cannot be recycled. Outreach efforts could entail posting signage by all recycling bins and trash cans with pictures of what should be recycled and what should be trashed.

Additionally, many older buildings on campus, such as Sewall Hall and Herzstein Hall, could be retrofitted with more sustainable hardware, such as low-flush toilets and LED lighting.

Recycling and retrofitting older buildings are low-hanging fruits in the fight to make Rice more sustainable, but students should also think big. Perhaps $40,000 could fund a currently unforeseen sustainable venture, and it should be used to create a fund similar to that which RESET originally proposed.

While crafting creative proposals for spending the SA’s $40,000 can be fun and exciting, we should make sure they work toward making Rice a more sustainable campus. To do otherwise would show that Rice students do not respect prior student decisions and are complacent with the current level of sustainability on Rice’s campus.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the piece’s author.

Re-assessing the marketplace of ideas

On Oct. 5, 2021, the Thresher published a guest opinion written by David Getter lamenting the erosion of freedom of expression at Rice. In the interest of embracing Getter’s call for reasoned discourse, I would like to offer a response to the claims made in the piece. 

Support Houston, shop local

Within the hedges of Rice University, it is possible — and thanks to online shopping, sometimes easier — not to venture out and explore the city that Rice calls home. However, treating campus as separate from Houston fails to recognize the impact that we have on the larger community that we are a part of. To support the relationship between us and Houston, the Rice community should make a consistent and concerted effort to shop at and support local businesses. 

OPINION 10/13/21 12:30am
​​Reconsider using the terms Hispanic, Latino and Latinx

Before Hispanic Heritage Month officially ends, I would like to take a moment to write about the labels those of us of Latin American heritage use to describe ourselves. At Rice, club names, course titles and survey questions often defer to pan-ethnic labels even though most people tend to use their national origin group as a primary identifier. These pan-ethnic labels are problematic. Although they in some ways unify Latin American communities, they often leave out others, like Afro-Latinos and indigenous Latinos. My goal here is not to dissuade people from using pan-ethnic labels; as history has shown, they can be useful, to some degree. However, my intention is for all of us, Latinos and non-Latinos alike, to use them wisely — with the understanding that the Latino community cannot be condensed into one culturally, ethnically or even linguistically homogeneous group. With that in mind, I hope that we as a Rice community continue to discuss and re-evaluate our language even after Hispanic Heritage Month ends.