Monday, September 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Some spaces 'neglected' for a reason

By Robert Duffield     10/8/14 3:48am

Rice’s neglected spaces are only neglected if you take human regard and human presence as the only measures of worth. Certainly sitting on a bench under a tree is pleasant, but if every tree has a bench, none of them is special. The introduction of benches or paving in the open or naturally landscaped spaces destroys the natural aspect of the space that is so essential to making it fundamentally different from the more formally structured spaces on campus. Follow a pattern of adding structure to spaces for convenience, and soon there are no empty spaces left at all, and the campus becomes one big parking lot or formal garden with no clear separation of one space from another.

I do not advocate a prohibition on entering or using the neglected spaces, though. Respect and enjoy the difference these spaces provide. Enter the sacred groves and neglected spots. Have a picnic. Sit on the ground. Lean against a tree. Play a game of midnight football in front of Lovett Hall. When you are done, take all you brought in with you out again.

Robert Duffield, Baker College ‘87

Admin discusses plans to cancel spring break, extend winter break, other spring semester logistics

The 2021 spring semester will potentially start one to two weeks late due to an extended winter break, according to Speaker of the Faculty Senate Christopher Johns-Krull. Johns-Krull said at the Student Association Senate meeting on Sep. 21 that there will also likely not be a weeklong spring break during the semester, but a potential for intermittent holidays spread out either during the weekdays or through three-day weekends.

Houston youth: Overcome barriers and take over the polls

Despite the structural barriers facing many young people and people of color, often in tandem, we are ready to show up to the polls and make an impact on our communities this November... If you are a young Houstonian, join the movement to change the narrative that we are civically apathetic: get informed, register to vote, go to the polls and volunteer with local nonprofits or campaigns.