Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Soccer snaps unbeaten streak

By Michael Kidd     10/7/14 4:53pm

The Rice University soccer team headed out on the road this past weekend to face two more Conference USA opponents. On Friday, the Owls defeated the University of Texas, San Antonio 3-0. Rice then traveled to face off against the University of Texas, El Paso on Sunday; the Owls lost to the Miners 1-0 in overtime. The Owls are now 7-2-2 on the season and second overall in C-USA with a 3-1 conference record.

The Friday night showdown between the Owls and the UTSA Roadrunners started with Rice scoring within the first minute. Junior Holly Hargreaves, the all-time leader in goals for Rice, scored 21 seconds into the game. Hargreaves scored again 22 minutes later off of a header for her eighth goal of the season. Junior forward Lauren Hughes had two assists on the day, bringing her total of the year to six. Senior midfielder Quinny Truong also found the back of the net off a deflection in the 64th minute of the match for her first goal of the season, securing the 3-0 victory for the Owls. For the third-straight match, senior goalkeeper Amy Czyz and the Owls defense secured the shutout.

On Sunday afternoon, the Owls faced UTEP riding an unbeaten match streak of nine games. For 90 minutes of play, Rice remained at 0-0 with the Miners. Despite an 8-3 corner kick advantage and a 15-8 shot advantage, the Owls did not score and ultimately allowed a goal to UTEP forward Jeanna Mullen in the 96th minute to lose in overtime, giving the Owls their first loss since a 1-0 defeat against Baylor on Aug. 22.  

Following the UTSA victory, Head Coach Nicky Adams said she was pleased with how well her team has played not just individually but as a whole.

“Everybody has been playing well," Adams said. "UTSA is a very good team and … our defense came up with its third-straight conference shutout. [Hargreaves] has been putting herself in dangerous offensive positions, and her teammates deserve credit for their part in getting the offense to work as well as it has."

According to senior midfielder Gabriela Iribarne, the team is excited to take on the University of North Texas next weekend despite ending their unbeaten streak.

“Although the score didn't come out the way we wanted, [we] feel confident and excited for this upcoming weekend,” Iribarne said. “[UNT] will be [an] extremely tough game, but we will come out for a battle on Sunday and not let anyone beat us on our home turf.”

Senior defender Ashton Geisendorff said she believes Rice is playing excellent soccer because of the chemistry they have established.

“Our mentality is better and our work ethic is phenomenal,” Geisendorff said. “When Rice soccer gets on that field we are ready to take care of business. Our offense is on fire, our midfield has world class skills and any one of our defenders would lay their body on the line to keep the ball out of the net. It's just great team chemistry.”

The Owls will return home to take on the C-USA leading University of North Texas in the only game of the weekend. The game is scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 12 at 1 p.m.

Former Rice star runner turned ultramarathon champion

Think, for a moment, about how far 45 miles is. 15 times the distance around the outer loop. Almost the distance from Houston to Galveston. Not only did Rice alumna Nicole Mericle run 45 miles at the Grand Traverse Run Ultramarathon on Sept. 5, but she also won the entire female race in her first-ever ultramarathon race. 

IM sports adjust to distancing protocols

At Rice, weekends in fall are typically rife with uproarious cries from flag football players draped in their college’s colors. Camaraderie, competition and championship hopes brew amongst the teams as each game marks a new memory for the students to share. Although this year is marked by the absence of traditional intramural sports due to COVID-19, the passion students harbor for sport is still ever-present.  

Football freshmen adjust to student-athlete life

With numerous college football programs across the nation starting their season this past weekend, there has been an increased focus on freshmen football players who are transitioning to the rigor and toughness of college football while also trying to navigate through the precarious situation presented by the coronavirus pandemic.