Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Soccer draws against North Texas

By Michael Kidd     10/16/14 5:51am

The Rice Owls soccer team drew at home this past weekend in a pivotal matchup against the Conference USA leading University of North Texas.

In the 15th minute, North Texas scored the first goal of the match on a Rice miscue on a long shot into the box. The Owls took 13 shots in the first half but could not find an equalizer. They trailed 1-0 at the half.

However, the Owls scored a goal in the 54th minute by sophomore defender Jenny Fichera.senior midfielder Gabriela Iribarne served up a bending cross into the boxon a corner kick that Fichera put away for her fourth goal of the season.

In the 60th minute of the match, play was suspended due to lighting and weather conditions. After an hour and fifteen minute rain delay, the two teams resumed play. After taking another 14 shots in the second half, the Owls and Mean Green headed into overtime tied at 1-1.

After two overtimes and an additional 20 minutes of play, the match ended in a 1-1 tie in which both teams earned a single point in the standings. Rice finished the game outshooting North Texas 31 shots to 13 and earned twice as many corner kicks (12-6).

The Owls are now 7-2-3 on the season with a 3-1-1 record in conference play. They share a three-way tie for third place in Conference USA. Rice heads  on the road this upcoming weekend to Florida where they will play two more C-USA matches against Florida International University and Florida Atlantic University. Kick off for those two matches are Friday at 6:00 P.M and Sunday at 12:00 PM, respectively.

Former Rice star runner turned ultramarathon champion

Think, for a moment, about how far 45 miles is. 15 times the distance around the outer loop. Almost the distance from Houston to Galveston. Not only did Rice alumna Nicole Mericle run 45 miles at the Grand Traverse Run Ultramarathon on Sept. 5, but she also won the entire female race in her first-ever ultramarathon race. 

IM sports adjust to distancing protocols

At Rice, weekends in fall are typically rife with uproarious cries from flag football players draped in their college’s colors. Camaraderie, competition and championship hopes brew amongst the teams as each game marks a new memory for the students to share. Although this year is marked by the absence of traditional intramural sports due to COVID-19, the passion students harbor for sport is still ever-present.  

Football freshmen adjust to student-athlete life

With numerous college football programs across the nation starting their season this past weekend, there has been an increased focus on freshmen football players who are transitioning to the rigor and toughness of college football while also trying to navigate through the precarious situation presented by the coronavirus pandemic.