Soccer draws against North Texas

By Michael Kidd     10/16/14 5:51am

The Rice Owls soccer team drew at home this past weekend in a pivotal matchup against the Conference USA leading University of North Texas.

In the 15th minute, North Texas scored the first goal of the match on a Rice miscue on a long shot into the box. The Owls took 13 shots in the first half but could not find an equalizer. They trailed 1-0 at the half.

However, the Owls scored a goal in the 54th minute by sophomore defender Jenny Fichera.senior midfielder Gabriela Iribarne served up a bending cross into the boxon a corner kick that Fichera put away for her fourth goal of the season.

In the 60th minute of the match, play was suspended due to lighting and weather conditions. After an hour and fifteen minute rain delay, the two teams resumed play. After taking another 14 shots in the second half, the Owls and Mean Green headed into overtime tied at 1-1.

After two overtimes and an additional 20 minutes of play, the match ended in a 1-1 tie in which both teams earned a single point in the standings. Rice finished the game outshooting North Texas 31 shots to 13 and earned twice as many corner kicks (12-6).

The Owls are now 7-2-3 on the season with a 3-1-1 record in conference play. They share a three-way tie for third place in Conference USA. Rice heads  on the road this upcoming weekend to Florida where they will play two more C-USA matches against Florida International University and Florida Atlantic University. Kick off for those two matches are Friday at 6:00 P.M and Sunday at 12:00 PM, respectively.

Women’s tennis bounced by reigning champion ODU in C-USA semis

After winning their first two matches of the Conference USA tournament, the No. 57 Rice women’s tennis team were knocked out in the semifinals by Old Dominion University, the top-seeded team in the conference and No. 33 nationally, losing 4-0. According to head coach Elizabeth Schmidt, while it was disappointing not to win it all, she said she knows her team will come back with a championship-driven mindset next year.