Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Football defeats Hawai'i

By By Evan Neustater     10/5/14 7:09am

The Rice football team (2-3) defeated the University of Hawai’i on Saturday, Oct. 4, winning 28-14.

Tied at 14 points apiece entering the fourth quarter, the Owls scored the go-ahead touchdown with 4:18 remaining on a four-yard touchdown run by sophomore Darik Dillard, his second of the night. Hawai’i then received the ball and failed on a fourth-down attempt, giving the Owls the ball back with 2:55 remaining.  On a fourth and 13 play with 18 seconds remaining on the Hawaii 31-yard line, junior quarterback Driphus Jackson found senior wide receiver Jordan Taylor for the game-sealing score.

Jackson completed 10 of 23 passes on the night for 248 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.  105 of those yards went to Taylor, who had his first 100-yard receiving game of the season and the fifth of his career. Dillard also had his first 100-yard rushing game of the year, going for 141 yards on 23 carries and two touchdowns.  

Rice will next head to West Point, New York to face the United States Military Academy.  Colloquially referred to as Army in athletics, the Black Knights also have a 2-3 record, most recently defeating Ball State University 33-24.  Army boasts the ninth-overall rushing offense in the nation, recording 316.5 rushing yards per game, although they also have the 125th passing offense, only averaging 90.8 yards.  Army also has the 102nd overall defense, sacrificing 34.2 points per game.  The game will kick off at 11 am in West Point, NY.

Former Rice star runner turned ultramarathon champion

Think, for a moment, about how far 45 miles is. 15 times the distance around the outer loop. Almost the distance from Houston to Galveston. Not only did Rice alumna Nicole Mericle run 45 miles at the Grand Traverse Run Ultramarathon on Sept. 5, but she also won the entire female race in her first-ever ultramarathon race. 

IM sports adjust to distancing protocols

At Rice, weekends in fall are typically rife with uproarious cries from flag football players draped in their college’s colors. Camaraderie, competition and championship hopes brew amongst the teams as each game marks a new memory for the students to share. Although this year is marked by the absence of traditional intramural sports due to COVID-19, the passion students harbor for sport is still ever-present.  

Football freshmen adjust to student-athlete life

With numerous college football programs across the nation starting their season this past weekend, there has been an increased focus on freshmen football players who are transitioning to the rigor and toughness of college football while also trying to navigate through the precarious situation presented by the coronavirus pandemic.