Football defeats Hawai'i

By By Evan Neustater     10/5/14 7:09am

The Rice football team (2-3) defeated the University of Hawai’i on Saturday, Oct. 4, winning 28-14.

Tied at 14 points apiece entering the fourth quarter, the Owls scored the go-ahead touchdown with 4:18 remaining on a four-yard touchdown run by sophomore Darik Dillard, his second of the night. Hawai’i then received the ball and failed on a fourth-down attempt, giving the Owls the ball back with 2:55 remaining.  On a fourth and 13 play with 18 seconds remaining on the Hawaii 31-yard line, junior quarterback Driphus Jackson found senior wide receiver Jordan Taylor for the game-sealing score.

Jackson completed 10 of 23 passes on the night for 248 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.  105 of those yards went to Taylor, who had his first 100-yard receiving game of the season and the fifth of his career. Dillard also had his first 100-yard rushing game of the year, going for 141 yards on 23 carries and two touchdowns.  

Rice will next head to West Point, New York to face the United States Military Academy.  Colloquially referred to as Army in athletics, the Black Knights also have a 2-3 record, most recently defeating Ball State University 33-24.  Army boasts the ninth-overall rushing offense in the nation, recording 316.5 rushing yards per game, although they also have the 125th passing offense, only averaging 90.8 yards.  Army also has the 102nd overall defense, sacrificing 34.2 points per game.  The game will kick off at 11 am in West Point, NY.

Owls’ throwers shine at Victor Lopez Classic

More than 2,000 fans packed into the stands at Holloway Field this past weekend to watch some of the best high school and collegiate track and field athletes in the area compete an the 40th Victor Lopez Classic. Amid the weekend’s festivities, several Owls were able to win their events and set personal records, setting themselves near the top of conference and national rankings. 

Baseball drops back-and-forth series to first-place UTSA

When the Rice baseball team entered their series against the University of Texas at San Antonio, they were a game over 0.500 and undefeated in conference. At the end they were neither. The Roadrunners took the first and third games off the Owls at Reckling Park, bringing the home team to a 12-12 overall record and a 4-2 record in conference. According to head coach Jose Cruz Jr., however, the series was not entirely a disappointment.