Football defeats Army

By Kevin Mohamram     10/15/14 5:52pm

The Rice University football team defeated the Army Black Knights 41-21 to improve to 3-3 overall. After a first quarter that finished with a tie, Rice managed to outscore Army 17-7 and 14-7 in the second and third quarters, respectively. Army was held scoreless in the final quarter.

Junior quarterback Driphus Jackson led the team offensively, throwing for three touchdowns and no interceptions. Senior wide receiver Jordan Taylor caught three passes from Jackson for 72 yards and his second touchdown of the year. Jackson improved to 11 touchdowns on the season.

Sophomore running back Jowan Davis lead the team in rushing with 77 yards on 21 carries. Sophomore Darik Dillard also rushed for 73 yards and a touchdown, while also adding a receiving touchdown.

After starting the season with three losses, Rice football is now on a three-game winning streak, with the other two victories coming against the University of Southern Mississippi and the University of Hawai’i. The Owls' next game is against the University of North Texas on Saturday, Oct. 25 at Rice Stadium.

Women’s tennis bounced by reigning champion ODU in C-USA semis

After winning their first two matches of the Conference USA tournament, the No. 57 Rice women’s tennis team were knocked out in the semifinals by Old Dominion University, the top-seeded team in the conference and No. 33 nationally, losing 4-0. According to head coach Elizabeth Schmidt, while it was disappointing not to win it all, she said she knows her team will come back with a championship-driven mindset next year.