Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Football defeats Army

By Kevin Mohamram     10/15/14 5:52pm

The Rice University football team defeated the Army Black Knights 41-21 to improve to 3-3 overall. After a first quarter that finished with a tie, Rice managed to outscore Army 17-7 and 14-7 in the second and third quarters, respectively. Army was held scoreless in the final quarter.

Junior quarterback Driphus Jackson led the team offensively, throwing for three touchdowns and no interceptions. Senior wide receiver Jordan Taylor caught three passes from Jackson for 72 yards and his second touchdown of the year. Jackson improved to 11 touchdowns on the season.

Sophomore running back Jowan Davis lead the team in rushing with 77 yards on 21 carries. Sophomore Darik Dillard also rushed for 73 yards and a touchdown, while also adding a receiving touchdown.

After starting the season with three losses, Rice football is now on a three-game winning streak, with the other two victories coming against the University of Southern Mississippi and the University of Hawai’i. The Owls' next game is against the University of North Texas on Saturday, Oct. 25 at Rice Stadium.

Former Rice star runner turned ultramarathon champion

Think, for a moment, about how far 45 miles is. 15 times the distance around the outer loop. Almost the distance from Houston to Galveston. Not only did Rice alumna Nicole Mericle run 45 miles at the Grand Traverse Run Ultramarathon on Sept. 5, but she also won the entire female race in her first-ever ultramarathon race. 

IM sports adjust to distancing protocols

At Rice, weekends in fall are typically rife with uproarious cries from flag football players draped in their college’s colors. Camaraderie, competition and championship hopes brew amongst the teams as each game marks a new memory for the students to share. Although this year is marked by the absence of traditional intramural sports due to COVID-19, the passion students harbor for sport is still ever-present.  

Football freshmen adjust to student-athlete life

With numerous college football programs across the nation starting their season this past weekend, there has been an increased focus on freshmen football players who are transitioning to the rigor and toughness of college football while also trying to navigate through the precarious situation presented by the coronavirus pandemic.