Make sure your vote counts in November elections

By Anastasia Bolshakova and Clara Roberts     9/24/14 10:32am

In the 2012 presidential election, Texas ranked 48 among the 50 states and Washington in voter turnout. Since then, Texas legislators have enacted a series of regulations that many believe will suppress voter turnout. For example, did you know that you need one of seven select government-issued photo IDs to vote? If you didn’t, you’re not alone. Many people, Rice students among them, are not informed about the changes that have been made since the last general election. While it is not yet evident if these new laws will suppress voter turnout, it is important to understand them to make sure that your vote counts this November.

College students have the unique opportunity to register to vote at their permanent address or their university address. If you decide to vote at your permanent address, make sure to look up your state’s absentee ballot regulations and request a ballot on time. If you are registered to vote in Houston, check your polling location before Nov. 4. If you are registered to vote at an on-campus address, you’ll be able to vote in the Rice Memorial Center from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Nov. 4.

If voting in person, early or on Election Day, make sure to bring a valid photo ID. Unlike in previous years, student IDs and IDs issued by other states will not be sufficient proof of identity to cast your ballot. You will have to bring one of these specified IDs to vote: a Texas Driver’s License issued by the Department of Public Safety, a Texas Personal ID card issued by DPS, a Texas concealed-handgun license issued by DPS, a U.S. military ID card showing your photo, a U.S. citizenship certi?cate showing your photo, a U.S. passport book or card or an Election ID Certi?cate (EIC) issued by DPS. But wait, there’s more. Your documents must have expiration dates of no more than 60 days before the day you vote, and your name on your ID must match your name — or be “substantially similar” — on the registered-voters list. However, the address on your ID does not have to match the address at which you are registered to vote.

Unfortunately these new regulations may mean that Rice students need to take extra measures to make sure they can vote and, in an increasingly dysfunctional political system, it may be difficult to find the motivation to do so. With issues that affect young people directly, such as student debt, sitting on the sidelines is no longer an option. While some may argue that their vote doesn’t matter, we must work to make change within the current system, in so much as we can, and voting is the most most effective institutionalized way to do so.

We have a unique opportunity in the November election to specifically affect local change. For the first time in 14 years, we will choose a new person to serve in the Texas governor’s office. With incumbents absent from multiple statewide races, and several down ballot positions up for grabs, the time is right for our voices to be heard. Register to vote by Oct. 6, make sure you have all the necessary information and documentation to cast your ballot and we’ll see you at the polls in November.

For more information, visit http://ricevotes.blogs.rice.edu/.