Thursday, July 07, 2022 — Houston, TX

Football falls to Notre Dame

The Rice University football team took on the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish this weekend, losing in a 48-17 decision.

The Owls gave up the first score of the game with 6:02 remaining in the first quarter but answered quickly as redshirt junior quarterback Driphus Jackson found sophomore wide receiver Zach Wright for a touchdown. The close score would not last long, however, as Notre Dame scored two touchdowns in the last 2:33 of the first half to ride a 28-10 lead going into halftime.

The second half was hardly any better for the Owls, who were outscored 20-7 in the final half. Notre Dame’s offensive production was due in large part to the performance of junior quarterback Everett Golson, who threw for 295 yards and two touchdowns while also rushing for 41 yards and three scores.

Despite recording 367 yards of total offense, the Owls had difficulty finding ways to score, scoring only two touchdowns and one field goal. Senior kicker James Hairston missed a 40-yard kick in the rain, and the rest of the offense only found the endzone twice.

Quarterback Driphus Jackson finished with 161 yards passing and a touchdown, while also leading the team in rushing with 61 yards. Sophomore backup quarterback Tyler Stehling entered the game in the fourth quarter and immediately threw a 53-yard touchdown pass to true freshman wide receiver James Mayden, giving both players their first career touchdowns.  Stehling finished the game going 2/2 for 63 yards with the one touchdown.

The Owls have a bye next week and will prepare for the showdown against in-state power Texas A&M University. The game will be on Saturday, Sept. 13 at 8 p.m. in College Station and will be broadcasted nationally on ESPN2.