Thursday, July 07, 2022 — Houston, TX

Kuster signs WNBA contract

By Evan Neustater     4/24/14 2:31pm

Jessica Kuster, the leading rebounder and scorer in Rice University women’s basketball history, signed a contract with the WNBA’s San Antonio Stars on Monday, April 21. Despite not being drafted in the three rounds of the WNBA Draft, Kuster was able to sign a contract with her hometown team.

The 6’2” forward ended her Rice career among the greats in the program’s history. In her senior season, Kuster averaged a double-double, scoring 20.9 points and recording 13.3 rebounds per game – both career highs. She finished this past season as the school’s all-time leading scorer and rebounder, recording 2,081 points and 1,376 rebounds. 

Kuster also holds the Conference USA career record with 67 double-doubles and is the only player in league history named to the first-team and all-defensive team in all four of her collegiate seasons.  

Kuster is the fourth Owl to join a WNBA squad and the first since Will Rice College alumna Marla Brumfield, who signed with the Detroit Shock in 2008.

Kuster helped lead the Owls to a 13-17 record this past season, which ended with a 85-65 loss to Florida International University in the second round of the C-USA Tournament.  

The San Antonio Stars begin preseason workouts Sunday, April 27.