Women’s b-ball loses in C-USA tournament

By Evan Neustater     3/11/14 5:32pm

The Rice University women’s basketball team played its last two regular season games this past week against the University of Texas, El Paso and the University of Alabama, Birmingham before losing to Florida International University in the first round of the Conference USA tournament on March 10.

The Owls hosted senior day against UTEP on March 1. The team specifically recognized forward Jessica Kuster, the only senior on the squad, for her many accomplishments and contributions to the team. Kuster holds the school record for most points, rebounds, free throws and field goals made at Rice. 

In Kuster’s final home game of her career, the Owls lost to UTEP 72-57. The Owls led by six points early in the first half, but the lead slipped away as halftime approached. Junior forward Christal Porter recorded a career-high 20 points in the contest and grabbed 15 rebounds, while Kuster finished the game with seven points.

Kuster said she received tremendous support on senior day and it was a great moment for her family. 

“The reception I received from the fans that afternoon was amazing, and I’m so glad that my family was able to be there to experience it with me,” Kuster said. “As for our last regular season game, it always feels good to get a quality road win, and it was especially beneficial to help get us some momentum heading into the conference tournament.”

On Wednesday, March 5, Rice came out on top with a 61-51 victory against UAB to close out the 2013-14 regular season. In her final regular season game, Jessica Kuster recorded 28 points and grabbed 14 rebounds while securing the 66th double-double of her career. Upon grabbing her tenth rebound, Kuster moved into sole possession of the conference record for most double-doubles in a career. Freshman point guard Maya Hawkins scored 18 points, making four three-pointers, while Porter added 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Owls. 

Head Coach Greg Williams said he believes Christal Porter is hitting her stride at the perfect time. 

“[Porter] has had back-to-back double-doubles, and we have been searching all year long for that second scorer,” Williams said. “She has really stepped up to be the player we expected her to be.” 

Williams said the final game of the year against UAB was one of the best games he has coached at Rice. 

“I am so proud of our team for the performance [it] gave against UAB on the road,” Williams said. “[We] played tremendous defense and kept them way below their average of 70 points [per] game.”

The Owls went into the Conference USA tournament as the No. 12 seed and played FIU, who was the No. 13 seed. Rice could not stop the hot-shooting Panthers, losing 85-65. FIU shot 53 percent from the field, including 60 percent in the second half, which led to 48 points. In her final game, Kuster secured the 67th double-double of her career with 26 points and 11 rebounds. Junior guard Nakachi Maduka provided a spark off the bench with 11 points and four rebounds as she was the only other Owl in double figures. Rice ended the season at 13-17 and 6-11 in conference play.