Thursday, December 02, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Baseball wins first conference series

472bbb6fb750c5224c7625d7edaa699b
Photo by Courtesy John Sullivan | The Rice Thresher

Junior Skyler Ewing stretches to record an out from first base. Rice University baseball opened their conference play on Friday, March 7 against Old Dominion University. The team defeated the Monarchs in the first match and gained another victory in the series on March 8. 

By Dan Elledge     3/11/14 5:31pm

The Rice University baseball team opened conference play on Friday, March 7 against Old Dominion University in the first of a three-game series. In the first meeting, the Owls pitching staff performed well in a 4-1 win.

The Rice University baseball team opened conference play on Friday, March 7 against Old Dominion University in the first of a three-game series. In the first meeting, the Owls pitching staff performed well in a 4-1 win. Junior pitcher Zech Lemond started the game instead of coming in as a closer, recording 10 strikeouts in 6.2 innings and allowing only one unearned run. Sophomore shortstop Leon Byrd hit a bases-loaded double that brought in three runs, giving the Owls a 3-0 lead in the first inning that they would not relinquish.

On Saturday, March 8, the Owls hosted a doubleheader against Old Dominion. Both teams had low-scoring offensive attacks, as Rice won the first game 3-2 in 17 innings. Sophomore pitcher Blake Fox pitched 7.1 innings and gave up two earned runs. After Fox left the game, junior Trevor Teykl, junior Matt Ditman, freshman Jon Duplantier, sophomore Ryan McCarthy and sophomore Austin Orewiler pitched 9.2 shutout innings.

Rice’s lone two runs in regulation came in the fourth inning when senior left fielder Michael Aquino recorded an RBI on a double, while junior catcher John Clay Reeves brought in the second run on a sacrifice fly. 

After Old Dominion tied the game at 2-2 in the eighth inning, the game remained tied until the bottom of the 17th inning when junior first baseman Skyler Ewing broke the deadlock with a game-winning single to left field that brought home senior second baseman Ford Stainback to give the Owls the victory. The game started at 10 a.m. but didn’t end until 2:53 p.m., making it the longest game thus far in the Owls’ short season.

The second game of the doubleheader ended in 10 innings with Rice suffering a 2-1 defeat. Sophomore pitcher Kevin McCanna pitched 9.1 innings but recorded a loss by allowing two earned runs. The Owls’ lone run came early in the first inning when Aquino singled to right field to bring home Byrd. Rice was held scoreless for the remainder of the game.

With the series win, the Owls are now 10-6 for the season and 2-1 in Conference USA play. The Owls will play Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi at home on Wednesday, March 12, before traveling to play a three-game series this upcoming weekend at Florida International University, a C-USA newcomer this season. 

Does this count as progress? Football needs a more consistent formula

Most of the way through the 2019 season, I thought that Rice had some of the worst luck in all of college football. Through nine games, the Owls were winless, despite four one-score losses, including an eight-point loss to a Baylor University team that ended the season ranked in the top 15. All signs indicated that the Owls were much better than their 0-9 record and that their bad luck in close games was long overdue to flip. The Owls ended that season with a three-game winning streak, including two one-possession wins, appeared to confirm that theory.

Recap: Football ends season with comeback win over LA Tech

On Saturday, Rice football came back from a ten point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat Louisiana Tech University 35-31 on Senior Day. The come-from-behind win snapped a four-game losing streak and tallied the Owls fourth win of the season, moving their record to 4-8 and 3-5 in Conference-USA.

Men Basketball goes 1-2, plays 3OT game in Gulf Coast Showcase

As many undergraduate students went home for Thanksgiving break, the Rice men’s basketball team spent their break participating in the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, FL where they won their first game but dropped the last two. In the first game last Monday, the Owls beat the University of Evansville 109-104 in three overtimes. However, following the win, the Owls did not have positive results for the remainder of the showcase as they lost to Oakland University 76-73 on Tuesday and were defeated by Fordham University 84-74 on Wednesday. After their Thanksgiving-week competition, the Owls are now 4-3 on the season.