Monday, September 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Administration should value Art Barn

By Rice Editorial Staff     3/11/14 5:38pm

The Thresher would have liked to see the Rice administration put more effort into the preservation of the Art Barn on our campus (see story, pg. 1). The building is considered by many to be a historically and artistically significant structure, and we would like Rice to recognize the potential value it could continue to bring to our campus. 

If the building is structurally unsound, then we understand that student safety should of course be a priority. We also understand that, if the building does need to be brought up to code, Rice would have to use funds for a renovation that could have otherwise been put towards another project at Rice. However, the Thresher believes that the Visual and Dramatic Arts department, not the arts in general, is in need of attention from the administration and could greatly benefit from new space and materials. The Art Barn, which is near the future location of the Moody Center for the Arts and is important to the Houston arts community, seems like a potentially good fit for additional VADA space. For this reason, we would have liked to see the university invest some time to investigate this option rather than simply announcing that the Barn was going to be deconstructed. 

We also acknowledge that the Art Barn is not used for the arts now; the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies occupies the building. However, although the building is not currently an ats building, we would like to have seen Rice recognize the historical notability of the Barn and would have preferred that the administration move to restore its previous function rather than dismiss it as outdated and unneeded.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the piece’s author.

Houston youth: Overcome barriers and take over the polls

Despite the structural barriers facing many young people and people of color, often in tandem, we are ready to show up to the polls and make an impact on our communities this November... If you are a young Houstonian, join the movement to change the narrative that we are civically apathetic: get informed, register to vote, go to the polls and volunteer with local nonprofits or campaigns. 

Say something: Administration should respond to Willy’s statue sit-ins

Rice administration has yet to publicly respond to the demonstrations to remove Willy’s statue that began in the academic quad three weeks ago. Shifa Rahman, the first student to begin protesting regularly and primary organizer of the sit-ins, says administration has not reached out to address the situation in a private fashion either. As more students join the “Down with Willy” cause, pressure is mounting for the administration to respond. Why have they stayed silent for so long?  

Hands off Belarus: What can we do across the ocean

September 11, 2020. We are standing on a sidewalk by a skyscraper near West Loop 610. Around 40 people came to this protest, all dressed in red and white colors. We are waving red and white flags. Songs in Belarusian, Russian and English are playing from the speakers. Many cars passing by are honking and their drivers are waving to us. Along the freeway, there are boards and placards with signs: “Putin Keep Out of Belarus,” “Stop Violence In Belarus” and “Long Live Belarus.”