Sunday, January 23, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Rice starts off season hot at the plate

9107e2aad04f6de434c5ce48097e158b
Photo by Courtesy Rice sports Information | The Rice Thresher

Junior Skyler Ewing waits for a pitch against Stanford over the weekend in Palo Alto, Calif. Ewing had two home runs on top of eight RBIs. Rice took two out of three from the Cardinals to win its first series of the year. The Owls play at Reckling Park  this week against the University of Houston and Purdue University. After winning his 1,000th game, Head Coach Wayne Graham will be honored on Wednesday, Feb. 19 before the game against UH.

By Nicki Chamberlain-Simon Thresher Staff     2/18/14 5:23pm

The Rice University baseball team opened its 2014 season against No. 25 Stanford University this weekend with a strong showing at the plate. Rice earned a total of 29 hits and 18 runs in their three days at Palo Alto, Calif. 

Men’s basketball gets outmanned by WKU

On Thursday, the Rice men’s basketball team faced off against the reigning Conference USA regular season champions, Western Kentucky University, in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Despite holding a halftime lead, Rice fell 80-66 for their seventh consecutive loss to Western Kentucky.  The loss brought their record to 9-6 on the season, and dropped their conference record to 2-2.

Men’s indoor track and field season starts to heat up

This past Friday, the Rice men’s track team opened up their indoor season at the Leonard Hilton Memorial Invitational at the University of Houston. As a small meet, only 10 athletes represented the Owls at the competition last weekend. Despite the small number of participants, four Owls reached the podium. According to head coach Jon Warren, the meet was a perfect way to kick off the season.