Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Rice starts off season hot at the plate

9107e2aad04f6de434c5ce48097e158b
Photo by Courtesy Rice sports Information | The Rice Thresher

Junior Skyler Ewing waits for a pitch against Stanford over the weekend in Palo Alto, Calif. Ewing had two home runs on top of eight RBIs. Rice took two out of three from the Cardinals to win its first series of the year. The Owls play at Reckling Park  this week against the University of Houston and Purdue University. After winning his 1,000th game, Head Coach Wayne Graham will be honored on Wednesday, Feb. 19 before the game against UH.

By Nicki Chamberlain-Simon Thresher Staff     2/18/14 5:23pm

The Rice University baseball team opened its 2014 season against No. 25 Stanford University this weekend with a strong showing at the plate. Rice earned a total of 29 hits and 18 runs in their three days at Palo Alto, Calif. 

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.