Friday, May 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

News in Brief: Rondelet Tickets sell out in less than 11 hours

By Rice Thresher Staff     2/26/14 9:50am

640 Rondelet tickets went on sale last Friday and sold out in 10 hours and 17 minutes, according to RPC socials committee member Jodie Nghiem. 

“The capacity of the venue is 650 per the Fire Marshall, and we reserved 10 tickets for caregivers as mandated by REMS and RUPD,” Rice Program Council President Aisha Jeeva said.

Jeeva, a Martel College junior, said tickets can still be resold, although she attributes the ticket purchases primarily to student excitement. 

“I believe that the majority of students purchased tickets because they are excited about attending the event, and did not want to miss out on the opportunity to attend,” Jeeva said. “However, we have no idea whether or not resold tickets are being scalped.  Just because a ticket is transferred doesn’t mean it was scalped for a higher price.”

According to Jeeva, RPC considered banning the resale of tickets, and proposed instead that students who could no longer attend sell their tickets back to RPC. 

“Because we use the online ticketing system, we are subject to credit card transaction fees for both purchases and refunds,” Jeeva said. “Unfortunately, we would then lose about $2 for every ticket that we had to do that for.  When Rondelet costs nearly $20,000, those credit card fees can have a big impact on the budget.”

Jeeva said the alternative of raising ticket prices was also nixed due to student feedback.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.