Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

News in Brief: Rice to purchase Rice Village Arcade Shopping Center

By Rice Thresher Staff     2/20/14 11:56am

The Rice Management Company, a division of Rice University that is responsible for managing the school’s endowment, is in the process of acquiring the Village Arcade Shopping Center, located in Rice Village, from current owner Weingarten Realty Investors, according to company president Allison Thacker (Baker ’96). 

“Rice and Weingarten have enjoyed a successful partnership since the 1990s, when they entered into a joint venture to develop the Village Arcade to serve the local retail market,” Thacker said. “The Village Arcade is part of the endowment that funds Rice University’s educational mission. The Rice Management Company is responsible for this property and considers it to be a long-term core investment for the endowment.”

According to a press release from Weingarten Realty Investors, Rice held the ground lease for the shopping center and is exercising their purchase option on the lease to end the partnership early.

“WRI received notice from the holder of the ground leases at The Village Arcade (including the Village Arcade and Phases II and III) in Houston, Texas of their intent to exercise their purchase option under the ground lease,” the press release states.

According to BJ Almond, the senior director of News and Media Relations at Rice, the Rice Management Company is still working on the details of the buyout, which is expected to be finalized this fall.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.