Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

News in Brief

By Rice Thresher Staff     1/13/14 6:00pm

President David Leebron and Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson have appointed Jose and Mayra Onuchic as the next Lovett College masters, according to an email sent out Jan. 13 to Lovett students by the Lovett Masters Search Committee. 

The Onuchics will succeed current masters Matteo Pasquali and Marie-Nathalie Contou-Carrere in July as the 13th Lovett masters.

According to the email, Jose Onuchic founded Rice's Center of Theoretical Biological Physics and currently teaches PHYS 125 to undergraduate students. Mayra Onuchic works at the Brasil@Rice office that organizes programs with Brazilian exchange students. Prior to their appointment as Lovett masters, the Onuchics served as Lovett associates and first-year mentors. 

Hanszen College's Masters Search Committee has also announced the selection of new masters, whose names will be revealed this Thursday, according to an email sent out Jan. 13 to Hanszen students.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.