Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Catalyst should get blanket tax, RES needs clarification

By Rice Thresher Staff     1/27/14 6:00pm

The Thresher supports the Catalyst's request for $1 in blanket tax funds (see story, p. 1). As Rice's only undergraduate scientific research journal, the Catalyst publishes unique content and emphasizes Rice's commitment to giving undergraduates research opportunities. We understand the costs that go into producing a publication and think their request is reasonable.

The Thresher would like to see further clarification from the Rice Environmental Society, which applied for a $9 blanket tax, as to how its funds would be allocated (see story, p. 1). RES's mission to fund environmental projects is commendable. We also support the idea that students could initiate their own projects. However, we see it as potentially problematic that all the groups in the organization would have access to the same money. It seems plausible that one person or group could monopolize all the funds. Before granting RES $9 in blanket tax funding, we would like to see some sort of checks and balances system implemented or a more clearly defined method of appropriating money.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the piece's author.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.