SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     12/3/13 6:00pm

The following were noted at the meeting of the Student Association on Dec. 2.

• SA Secretary Nathan Andrus announced that applications for the SA Director of Technology and the SA Director of Elections positions are open until 11:59 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6. Both positions will begin in January 2014. Applications are available at sa.rice.edu/appointed.
  • Andrus announced that the Center for Teaching Excellence will host a Symposium on Teaching and Learning from 11 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 17, 2014. The symposium will serve as a forum to discuss teaching excellence at Rice. All students are encouraged to attend to provide input and be part of the discussion.
  • SA Parliamentarian Brian Baran, SA Internal Vice President Nathan Liu and Andrus presented a draft of the proposed SA constitution based on the findings of the Committee on Constitutional Revisions. The proposed changes would replace the current constitution and separate bylaws with a single document and would clarify various definitions and processes of the SA. The Student Senate plans to vote on whether to ratify the constitution on Feb. 3. Amendments can be made to the documents up to that date. Students are encouraged to read over the proposed constitution at sa.rice.edu/constitution. Send questions, comments, or suggestions to bbaran@rice.edu.
  • SA President Yoonjin Min announced that the Student Senate will postpone its vote on Senate Resolution No. 6 that supports creating an Orientation Week International Student Liaison position at each college to January 2014 in order to give the SA more time to discuss the resolution with the Office of International Students and Scholars.
  • Homecoming Committee Chair Charlotte Larson thanked everyone for participating in Homecoming Week and presented the 2013 Rice Homecoming Cup to Jones College. Send feedback about Homecoming Week to crl6@rice.edu.
  • Min said that at least 1,000 free tickets will be available to students for the Rice vs. Marshall Conference USA Championship football game this Saturday, Dec. 7 thanks to donations from Rice alumni. Students can pick up tickets at the tailgate from 8 - 11 a.m. Saturday. After kickoff, any remaining tickets will be available for $5. Students can also reserve tickets ahead of time for $15 at the Tudor Fieldhouse ticket office. The game will be broadcast on ESPN 2.
  • SA External Vice President Ravi Sheth announced that an active petition requesting for Sunday morning breakfast and the procedure for submitting new petitions can be found at sa.rice.edu/petitions.

The SA will next meet Monday, Jan. 13, 2014 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 9 p.m.