Wednesday, September 23, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor:

By John Hutchinson     12/3/13 6:00pm

Dear Rice students:

In my meeting with the Student Association senators during the week after Esperanza, I learned that drinks mixed with hard alcohol were served by the caterer at Esperanza. I was told by the senators that some students have complained about this service, given that the alcohol policy specifically prohibits this. This criticism is entirely accurate and completely understandable: We screwed up. My office should not have granted the Rice Program Council permission to allow the caterer to serve mixed drinks. Although RPC should not have requested this on the event approval form, the mistake rests with us for failing to deny the request.

My staff and I regret the error. This clarification is important for two reasons. First, when we make a mistake, we admit it, and we take measures to correct the error. That is my responsibility. I have already talked with my staff about this mistake, and we have discussed the necessary corrections. Second, this mistake in no way changes our expectations under the alcohol policy. The serving of hard alcohol, including mixed drinks made from hard alcohol, is banned from all public parties and private gatherings, and private consumption of hard alcohol is banned specifically on the nights of major events such as Esperanza, even for those of age.

I would like to thank the Student Association for bringing this problem to my attention, and I appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

John Hutchinson

Dean of Undergraduates

Houston youth: Overcome barriers and take over the polls

Despite the structural barriers facing many young people and people of color, often in tandem, we are ready to show up to the polls and make an impact on our communities this November... If you are a young Houstonian, join the movement to change the narrative that we are civically apathetic: get informed, register to vote, go to the polls and volunteer with local nonprofits or campaigns. 

Black at Rice: Eden Desta extends an invitation

Filled with elaborate dance routines, emotional poetry and comedy skits that elicit roars of laughter, Africayé never ceases to catch the eye of students across campus. At the helm of the organization behind this lively cultural event this year is Eden Desta, current president of the Rice African Student Association.