Tuesday, May 21, 2024 — Houston, TX

Administrators need to communicate with students more

By Rice Editorial Staff     12/3/13 6:00pm

As the fall semester comes to a close, the Thresher would like to encourage more transparency and communication from the administration in the coming semesters. There is a general feeling that the administration has been more closed towards the student body, especially on key issues like the future of the linguistics graduate program. Despite repeated attempts to reach out to members of the administration to give them an opportunity to present their perspective on the linguistics issue, the administration has continuously declined to comment. 

We understand that in some instances, legal issues may prevent administrators from disclosing details. However, when matters concerning the future of student programs, student activities on campus, or the perception of Rice as it can affect students arise, the administration should be open to questions from the student body. Leaving matters in the dark often creates greater rumors and gossip, which could be dispelled with increased transparency from the administration. We have long prided ourselves on the openness of our student-administration communications, and we greatly appreciate when adminstrators choose - like Dean Hutchinson did this week - to communicate with the student body in a public manner. We would like to see more of that communication in the coming semester.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the piece's author.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.