Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/5/13 6:00pm

• SA President Yoonjin Min announced that the Student Senate postponed its vote on a resolution proposing a guarantee of on-campus housing to first-year transfer students to next week in order to give students more time to discuss the resolution within their colleges.
  • SA Internal Vice President Nathan Liu gathered feedback on holding Senate meetings in the residential colleges. Some students said holding meetings in the colleges would make them more accessible, but other students said they were concerned with the confusion that could arise from not having a consistent meeting place. Send any feedback to njl3@rice.edu.

• Min announced that nominations for Homecoming King and Queen will be accepted until Friday, Nov. 8 at 11:59 p.m. The nomination form can be found at sa.rice.edu/homecoming.
  • SA Parliamentarian Brian Baran said the Committee on Constitutional Revisions will present a draft of its proposed revisions to the portions of the SA constitution governing blanket tax organizations and the blanket tax review process at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion.
  • The SA will next meet Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 8 p.m. Min said the Senate is meeting an hour earlier than usual to avoid a scheduling conflict with Mr. Rice, which will take place at 9 p.m. in the Rice Memorial Center Grand Hall.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.