Friday, May 24, 2024 — Houston, TX

SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/5/13 6:00pm

• SA President Yoonjin Min announced that the Student Senate postponed its vote on a resolution proposing a guarantee of on-campus housing to first-year transfer students to next week in order to give students more time to discuss the resolution within their colleges.
  • SA Internal Vice President Nathan Liu gathered feedback on holding Senate meetings in the residential colleges. Some students said holding meetings in the colleges would make them more accessible, but other students said they were concerned with the confusion that could arise from not having a consistent meeting place. Send any feedback to njl3@rice.edu.
  • Min announced that nominations for Homecoming King and Queen will be accepted until Friday, Nov. 8 at 11:59 p.m. The nomination form can be found at sa.rice.edu/homecoming.
  • SA Parliamentarian Brian Baran said the Committee on Constitutional Revisions will present a draft of its proposed revisions to the portions of the SA constitution governing blanket tax organizations and the blanket tax review process at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion.
  • The SA will next meet Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 8 p.m. Min said the Senate is meeting an hour earlier than usual to avoid a scheduling conflict with Mr. Rice, which will take place at 9 p.m. in the Rice Memorial Center Grand Hall.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.