Thursday, May 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/5/13 6:00pm

• SA President Yoonjin Min announced that the Student Senate postponed its vote on a resolution proposing a guarantee of on-campus housing to first-year transfer students to next week in order to give students more time to discuss the resolution within their colleges.
  • SA Internal Vice President Nathan Liu gathered feedback on holding Senate meetings in the residential colleges. Some students said holding meetings in the colleges would make them more accessible, but other students said they were concerned with the confusion that could arise from not having a consistent meeting place. Send any feedback to njl3@rice.edu.

• Min announced that nominations for Homecoming King and Queen will be accepted until Friday, Nov. 8 at 11:59 p.m. The nomination form can be found at sa.rice.edu/homecoming.
  • SA Parliamentarian Brian Baran said the Committee on Constitutional Revisions will present a draft of its proposed revisions to the portions of the SA constitution governing blanket tax organizations and the blanket tax review process at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion.
  • The SA will next meet Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 8 p.m. Min said the Senate is meeting an hour earlier than usual to avoid a scheduling conflict with Mr. Rice, which will take place at 9 p.m. in the Rice Memorial Center Grand Hall.

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.