Friday, May 24, 2024 — Houston, TX

Annise Parker for Houston mayor

By Rice Thresher Staff     10/31/13 7:00pm

Throughout her two terms as Houston's mayor, Annise Parker has advanced the city of Houston in countless ways. Her recent Complete Streets and Transportation Plan is just one of the many steps she has taken toward improving the infrastructure of Houston, and her efforts to reduce crime and other social problems are admirable. These improvements, including the expansion of the METRORail, combined with Parker's focus on the job market and quality of life, have helped put Houston back on the map as a great city in the United States. 

In addition to her many achievements as the mayor of Houston, Parker has the most city government experience out of the candidates, and this experience has already proved important in helping her make innovative, principled decisions. Furthermore, as a Rice University graduate and native Houstonian, her devotion to the Houston community is clear. Parker should be provided the opportunity to continue her work in improving the city, and the Rice Thresher therefore endorses her candidacy for mayor of Houston.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the

piece's author.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.