Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Annise Parker for Houston mayor

By Rice Thresher Staff     10/31/13 7:00pm

Throughout her two terms as Houston's mayor, Annise Parker has advanced the city of Houston in countless ways. Her recent Complete Streets and Transportation Plan is just one of the many steps she has taken toward improving the infrastructure of Houston, and her efforts to reduce crime and other social problems are admirable. These improvements, including the expansion of the METRORail, combined with Parker's focus on the job market and quality of life, have helped put Houston back on the map as a great city in the United States. 

In addition to her many achievements as the mayor of Houston, Parker has the most city government experience out of the candidates, and this experience has already proved important in helping her make innovative, principled decisions. Furthermore, as a Rice University graduate and native Houstonian, her devotion to the Houston community is clear. Parker should be provided the opportunity to continue her work in improving the city, and the Rice Thresher therefore endorses her candidacy for mayor of Houston.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the

piece's author.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.