Sunday, May 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

Powderpuff showdown, week three

By Naoki Shiba     9/30/13 7:00pm

Jones vs. GSA

Jones College recorded its first win of the season, defeating the Graduate Student Association 6-0. The only touchdown of the game was scored when Jones sophomore Alex Brown threw a 25-yard pass to Jones senior Sara Nydick. 

"We were able to out-speed the GSA and consistently get yards," Jones Coach Nicolas Semon said. "Our blocking was also very good."

With the win, Jones improved to a 1-2 record, while the GSA went down to 0-2 for the season.

Jones vs. Baker

Baker College recorded its first season win 18-0 against Jones, which played two games this week.

"We need to make sure that the team stays aggressive," Semon said. 

However, Semon said he was still impressed by the new members of the team. 

"We had some good contributions from the freshmen, and the future of the team is hopeful," Semon said.

Wiess vs. Sid

After a tied game at 12-12, Wiess College scored in the last two minutes of the game, defeating  Sid Richardson College Thursday night. Wiess junior Andie Eikenberg was the key player who sealed Wiess' victory.

"Sid was able to score on reverse plays," Wiess Coach Bobby Prengle said. "I thought we were almost about to go into overtime, but the last field-length drive won us the game."

With the win, Wiess improved to a 2-1 record, while Sid went down to 1-1. 

Wiess vs. McMurtry

On Sunday afternoon, Wiess also played against McMurtry College. McMurtry made skillful passes, winning the game 21-6. 

"It would have helped to have practiced," Prengle, a senior, said. "We had many opportunities to score, but we didn't capitalize."

Martel vs. Duncan

Missing a couple players from its team, Duncan College could not overcome Martel College's defense and lost 24-2. Duncan was still able to score two points on a 101-yard interception return by Duncan freshman Michelle Won off an extra-point attempt by Martel. 

"When Martel was on offense, we had a hard time pulling flags and keeping their running back contained," Duncan Coach Jordan Bley said. "She broke off a couple of great, long runs where we couldn't catch her."

Martel is now 2-1 this season, and Duncan is winless at 0-2.

Bley said that, despite the loss, he is optimistic about the future.

"I was really proud [of] the way we played," Bley said. "We fought hard until the very end."

Hanszen vs. Brown

After a tight game, Hanszen College was finally able to clinch the victory 19-6 against Brown College to win its  second game of the season. Brown's record fell to 2-1. 

"We need to work on the little things," Brown Coach Miles Wilson said. "Football is a game of inches, and we didn't get enough inches today."

Wilson said he was proud of the team's efforts nonetheless.

"We showed a lot of heart," Wilson said. 

Lovett vs. WRC

On Friday evening, Will Rice College defeated two-year reigning powderpuff champions Lovett College 12-7. Will Rice senior Brittany Carter scored both touchdowns for Will Rice, bringing its record to 1-2.

"Our defense was able to shut them out," Will Rice Assistant Coach John Robertson Lopez said.

McMurtry vs. Brown

After a defensive struggle through three quarters, McMurtry returned an interception for a touchdown to take a 6-0 lead and never looked back, winning 13-0. McMurtry Coach Ross Michie-Derrick said the defense was extremely motivated to beat Brown.

"Many of our defenders had troubled childhoods," Derrick said facetiously. "They are filled with hatred and anger. But in the Brown game, they channeled their aggression. Brown never had a chance of scoring. Rebecca Maher was especially good. Some said we should have suspended her after the armed robbery, but she proved us right to believe in her this weekend with three interceptions, including a pick six."

Duncan vs. WRC (Postponed)

On a rainy Sunday morning, Will Rice started play against Duncan, leading 18-0. The game was postponed due to the rain and will be rescheduled. Carter scored all three touchdowns in the game.