Jordan Taylor: The man behind the facemask

By Nicki Chamberlain-Simon     9/11/13 7:00pm

With aggressive routes and bounding leaps, wide receiver Jordan Taylor has earned a spot as the top receiving target for the 2013 Rice football team. Taylor, a redshirt junior, had at least three catches in 10 of 13 games last year and had receptions in every game but one. He led the Owls in the 2012 season with 826 receiving yards and 57 total receptions, tying for the seventh most receptions in Rice history.

Taylor has also received national recognition. Taylor was named MVP of the Armed Forces Bowl and named to All-Bowl teams by ESPN.com, CBSSports.com and USA Today with 153 yards and three touchdowns - even after separating his shoulder in the third quarter and finishing the game. This Denison native has already made a statement this year, catching seven passes for 69 yards and a touchdown against Texas A&M University Aug. 31.

Even though Taylor is a six-foot, five-inch force to be reckoned with on the field, off the field, he's just a calm, cool and collected guy who is in it for the camaraderie of Rice football.

How long have you been playing football?

I started playing football in the seventh grade. Baseball was actually my biggest sport growing up, but throughout high school, I sort of fell in love with football, so that's what took me to college. I played baseball since I was seven, and I played all the way through my senior year. I was definitely a better baseball player than I was a football player. I actually played quarterback in high school, and I didn't play receiver until I got here.

Why are you passionate about football?

I guess the camaraderie. Just being around those guys, working with the guys all the time and just wanting to play for each other I'd say is the biggest thing.

Who do you think has provided inspiration for you throughout your football career?

Probably one of the most inspirational people has been my older brother. He played football as well - he actually played at the University of California, Los Angeles - but we're nothing alike. He's a big guy, and he played on the offensive line, so he never really got any glory for anything. So I guess just seeing him be motivated all through his career and just wanting to get better even though he doesn't have that aspect of it really motivated me to work hard and no matter what happens to just enjoy playing and have fun with it.

What would you say was your favorite memory from last year?

The whole season was a pretty good memory just because we started off really struggling, and we had our backs up against the wall at one point where if we wanted to make a bowl game, we couldn't lose another game, and I think we still had five games left on our schedule at that point. We could have easily given up, but we just kind of drew a line in the sand and said we're going to do everything we can to win from here on out, and we ended up doing that. Of course, the bowl game was pretty fun, and I ended up getting the MVP at the bowl game, but it was just the season as a whole and how we came together.

What was going through your head during your one-handed leaping grab against A&M?

Not much, really. Honestly, I just saw the ball go up, and I just tried to make a play on it, and it worked out. I went back and watched the film, and I really still couldn't even tell you how I ended up catching it. Next thing I knew, I was coming down with the ball and we had a first down.

What injuries have you had throughout the years?

My redshirt freshman year, I was supposed to come in and play receiver. But the night before we came back to report for two-a-days, I broke my leg at home. I was riding on an ATV with a couple of my friends, and it flipped and rolled over onto my leg. I had to call the coaches the next morning and tell them I wouldn't be coming back for a few days because I just got out of the hospital.

Also, I actually separated my shoulder in that bowl game last year about midway through the third quarter. I ended up finishing the game probably just from adrenaline.

Taylor also broke his collarbone in high school and broke a rib during the first day of camp last year.

What has been your key to success thus far?

Being internally motivated and trying to stay as consistent as possible. It's a grind playing football and trying to balance school. You kind of have to find some motivation within yourself to keep going, and it's easy to have a lazy attitude and say, "Oh, I'm tired, I don't really feel like practicing today." I guess just being internally motivated, using my brother as an example or my parents even.

Do you have any nicknames?

The Great White Hope. To be honest, I haven't even asked why. I guess because I'm a white guy playing out there, and at my position, you don't really see too many white guys.

If you were a type of candy, which would you be, and why?

I would say a Sour Patch Kid. Off the field, I'm a really laid back kind of guy. I like to stay out of any type of confrontation and never want to get into arguments, but then, of course, when you get on the field, especially in a sport like football, it's impossible to not be physical, and [you] have to get angry at some guy if he's trying to tackle you.

What is your favorite pastime that isn't sports-related?

I love hunting - I grew up in a really country town. So I guess hunting and fishing. Unfortunately, I don't really have time to do that anymore, but growing up, I used to love going deer hunting and duck hunting with my parents and my brother.

What are your plans beyond Rice football?

There's always the hope that you get a chance to play in the NFL, but I'm not putting all my eggs in that one basket. Being a sports medicine major, I'd like to go into something like physical therapy or personal training. And a long time down the road, I'd really like to become a coach - maybe at my old high school because there's a lot of tradition there. I just feel like me and a lot of my old friends would love to go back and coach there, so that's just been a dream of ours.

Taylor and the rest of the football team continue their season this Saturday, Sept. 14 at 6:30 p.m. in Rice Stadium. 

This interview was edited for length and clarity.