Hanszen dominates in powderpuff week two

By Nicki Chamberlain-Simon     9/16/13 7:00pm

Brown v. Wiess

Brown College added another win to its record against Wiess College this weekend. After Wiess missed flag pulls on defense and responded ineffectively on offense, Brown won 14-0. 

"We need to improve on catching and flagging," Wiess Coach Bobby Prengle said. "Brown's scores were due to two broken plays after multiple missed flags, and our lack of scores was because we couldn't sustain drives."

Wiess now has a 1-1 record and will look to earn a win against Sid Richardson College next weekend. 2-0 Brown will be facing McMurtry College.

Lovett v. Jones

After a scoreless first half between Jones College's Fast Women and the two-year reigning powderpuff champs, Lovett College defeated Jones in a close 7-0 game. Running back Sofi Minick scored the winning touchdown in the fourth quarter after Jones stopped two other scoring opportunities for Lovett.  

"Lovett powderpuff has always had strong players, but what really makes our team are the cheerful hearts of each member of the crew," Lovett Coach Sal Tijerina said. "Our unity and love is unparalleled, and I think that's what will take us to the championship one more time."

Sid v. McMurtry

Sid Richardson College topped McMurtry College Sunday in a back-and-forth showdown. Quarterback Rachel Tenney started Sid off on the right note with a 60-yard touchdown pass to Aubrey Lopshire in the first quarter. McMurtry tied the game at 6-6 soon after, but Sid's Hannah Thompson rushed for a fourth-quarter touchdown to win the game. 

"Sid's defense came up strong and played together ... by not allowing any scores and coming up with multiple big fourth-down stands," Sid Coach Drew Travis said.

WRC v. GSA

The Graduate Student Association edged Will Rice College in a 13-12 nail biter. GSA had an early lead on a long pass for a touchdown, but Will Rice responded with two touchdowns to put the score at 12-6. However, GSA managed to score the go-ahead touchdown in the last three minutes and complete the conversion off of a tipped ball.  

"Will Rice women were devastated by the dramatic loss, but we are super optimistic about the rest of the season and are so proud of how much we improved," Will Rice Coach Greg Flores said.

Hanszen v. Duncan

Hanszen College senior Priyanka Duvuuru took control of Hanszen's first powderpuff game of the year, scoring four out of Hanszen's five touchdowns. While the Duncan College team played with intensity the entire game, Hanszen won with a final score of 33-0. 

"The entire Hanszen squad played great across the board," Duncan Coach Jordan Bley said. "Hopefully, we can get a full squad out there next week and keep playing hard."

Duncan will face Martel College next week. After scoring five touchdowns and shutting  Duncan down on defense, Hanszen will be a tough opponent for Baker College next week. 

Baker v. Martel

Baker took the early lead 6-0 off of a 98 yard run, but Martel answered with a touchdown and an extra point to go up 7-6 for the win.

"When Baker scored the long [touchdown] run, our defense refocused and got the stop that ended up making the difference in [a] tight game." Martel Coach Alex Suarez said. "Looking back on the game, I am so proud of how tough our girls played and how much heart they showed."

Martel is 1-1 so far this season and will face Duncan next week. Baker is now 0-1 and will play Hanszen.