Thursday, May 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Beer Bike 2013

By Joey Capparella     3/20/13 7:00pm

Later Start

The water-balloon fights will begin at 10 a.m. on Founder's Court for the first fight and 10:45 for the second fight on the intramural fields, each 30 minutes later than last year, according to campuswide Beer Bike Coordinator Andrew Jacobson.

Jacobson said the cost of paying Rice University Police Department and Rice Emergency Medical Services for the extra hours later in the day, which caused the schedule to be shifted earlier, was not a problem this year because of the blanket tax increase passed for Beer Bike last year.

Jacobson said he hoped the later start might help the problem of neighborhood noise complaints as well.

"Last year, some colleges had [Houston Police Department] officers there from someone near campus calling in a noise complaint," Jacobson said. "We're hoping that if colleges start later, th stacks will start playing later. There is a cutoff time after which noise restrictions are not as stringent."

Jacobson said the later start will also hopefully encourage students to be smarter about their drinking. Some serveries will be serving breakfast in the morning, such as North Servery, which will be serving a continental breakfast starting at 6 a.m., Jacobson said.

Track Activities

Jacobson and fellow campuswide Beer Bike Coordinator Soorya Avali said there was a push this year to encourage more students to go to the track to see the races.

"We freed up money in the budget to have more amenities at the track," Avali, a Brown College junior, said. "The fun doesn't stop after the water-balloon fight."

Avali said the campuswide Beer Bike budget is now covering tents for every college at the track.

"Last year, the colleges each had to buy their own tents," Avali said. "This allows the college Beer Bike coordinators to have more funds for things at the track like a popcorn machine or a dunk tank. The setup will look similar to the College Row tailgates from football season."

Security and Caregiving

Avali said there were no changes to security practices this year. Security will be handled by student volunteers, RUPD and a third-party security force hired for the event.

However, Jacobson said there were changes to the use of caregivers during the water-balloon fight.

"Last year, the caregivers stayed back at the colleges during the water-balloon fight and then went directly to the track," Jacobson said. "This year, we're having them follow the mass of people between the two water-balloon fights. Hopefully, they'll be better utilized this way."

Students create new timing system

Jacobson said a group of senior electrical engineering students created a new electronic transponder timing system to record each college's lap times that will be tested at this year's Beer Bike.

"It's still in beta testing now, but in the future, we're hoping to have times be live," Jacobson said. "This year, we will also still have judges timing like in the past."

Food

Jacobson said the food at the track will consist of 750 Chick-fil-A sandwiches and 600 Papa John's pizzas.

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.