?The clutch side of choosing to drive vehicles with manual transmissions

By Joey Capparella     1/9/13 6:00pm

Do you know how to drive a stick shift? Chances are, the answer is no. I polled more than 75 Rice students, and the overwhelming majority (more than 70 percent) said that they did not know how to drive a manual transmission car. According to Jalopnik.com, manual transmission cars have gone from approximately 45 percent of cars on the road in 1990 to less than 7 percent today as consumers and automakers alike increasingly view the manual transmission as technology from the bygone era. Interestingly, the decline in manual transmissions seems to be a distinctly American trend: According to the automotive market analyst company CSM Worldwide, around 75 percent of the cars in Europe still have manual transmissions.

The reasons for this decline stem from a self-perpetuating cycle between consumers and manufacturers. Technological advancements in automatic transmissions have eliminated some of the advantages that manuals used to have over automatics, such as better gas mileage. It is a chicken-or-egg type of situation: Are automakers making fewer stick shifts because people are buying fewer of them, or have fewer people been buying stick shifts because they are becoming increasingly rare in new cars?

Some of the blame can be placed on how people view driving in America. The next time you are out on the road, think about all of the things that you are doing while driving: eating, texting, talking on the phone, listening to music - the list goes on and on. With a manual transmission, driving is a much more engaging process, meaning that you have to pay more attention to the task at hand.

My challenge to you is to give the manual transmission a chance. Car and Driver, a well-regarded automotive magazine, has started a nationwide campaign called "Save the Manuals" in an attempt to reverse the trend. If you still need convincing, here are my top five reasons why you should join the cause to Save the Manuals:

Save money: Although fewer and fewer cars are even offered with manual transmissions these days, almost every single model that offers both manual and automatic requires a price premium for automatic. Many times, customers are not even aware of the choice of a manual because dealers do not keep them in stock, but automatics usually add between $800 to $1,000 to the base price of the car. Also, it can often be easier to negotiate a lower price on a stick shift because many dealerships have difficulty selling the few manual-transmission models in their inventory.

Have more fun: Driving a stick shift is fun. Not only do you have more control over the car mechanically, but you also receive more feedback from the car, creating a sort of relationship between the driver and the machine. The few manual drivers who responded to my survey said things like "Manual or I'm bored" and "Driving manual is amazing ... never going back." There is a reason that a high percentage of sports cars are equipped with manual transmissions: If you really like driving, there is no better way to feel like you are a participant in the process.

Cure your smartphone addiction: In today's increasingly technology-addicted society, smartphone-ing at the wheel is becoming more and more widespread. Car and Driver performed an extensive test comparing texting and driving with drinking and driving. The results were surprising: One subject's reaction time while texting was almost double that of his reaction time while drunk and more than triple his sober reaction time. With a manual transmission, both hands and both feet are involved in the driving process. Try texting while driving a stick shift around town, and you will not get past the "L" in "LOL." In general, driving a manual transmission requires you to be both mentally and physically engaged in the process of driving. This sounds like a novel concept. But it really isn't. When you are at the helm of a multi-ton hunk of metal hurtling down the road at more than 100 feet per second, it makes sense to be as engaged in this movement as possible, right?

Prevent theft: MSN.com reported that more than 800,000 vehicles were stolen in 2009. That is one car every 40 seconds. But of these vehicles, only a tiny percentage consisted of manual transmission vehicles. A few years ago, a story came out about a carjacker who pulled a woman from her car and attempted to drive away only to find that he could not budge because of the car's manual transmission. With fewer and fewer people who know how to drive a manual, chances are that any potential thieves will be stumped by a stick shift.

Show off your skills: Some people might view the manual transmission as old-fashioned, but being able to use a clutch and a gear shifter is not as easy as it seems. Learning how to drive a stick shift is almost like gaining membership to an exclusive club: You will feel a little smug about it, but others will be impressed with your abilities.

So here is my advice: If you do not know how to drive a manual transmission, learn! If you own a car with a stick shift and do not mind slightly abusing your clutch, take your friends out and teach them. When you buy your next car, consider a manual transmission model, even if you do not know how to drive a stick shift. It is a rewarding skill in more ways than one.

Joey Capparella is the local news editor and a Brown College senior.