Online comments of the week

In response to "Caplans no longer Martel RAs" 

(August 31, 2012) 

I do not understand why this is being hushed up. Doesn't the Martel College community at large deserve both sides of the truth, especially because a third party (the administration) is responsible for ultimately severing what I felt was a very positive relationship between Martel and the Caplans? We are owed an honest explanation, which they can, of course, do while keeping names anonymous. However, by withholding information from the community, they are effectively keeping us from being able to raise objections as to how the situation was handled. Ultimately, I think that is what is upsetting people. 

Anonymous 

Must be pretty rough for a lot of people over at Martel College right now, but they are a resilient bunch. Sounds like everything should go back to normal soon enough, at least for the majority of students. Leave the rest of the bureaucratic damage to the selfless masters and volunteer student government officials for cleanup. That is usually the Rice way of getting things done, as the higher-ups, whose poor policy enforcement caused the worst of the wreckage, like to wash their hands of these situations, do their best to get away with ambiguous commentary in the Thresher, and quickly retreat into their ivory towers of academia. Unsurprisingly, it sounds like Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson and the administration really botched up this one. As Associate Dean, Donald Ostdiek oversees both Student Judicial Programs and the Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center. Why Maria Caplan lost her job at the Wellness Center because of what appears to be her husband's inappropriate actions is still unclear, and Hutch seems to want to keep it that way despite his stating "... each position is evaluated separately." It sounds pretty fishy to me. A resident advisor definitely should not be drinking or intoxicated in front of students during Orientation Week, and their behavior warrants their removal from the college, but threatening someone's career seems like overkill in this situation. As Doc. C would say, "Watch the hands, people!" 

Also, I'm just waiting for some immature idiot to start the whole, "You mean Martel Dormitory!" crap while they are clearly dealing with some pretty un-fun stuff over there. Grow up people. 

Anonymous