Thursday, June 13, 2024 — Houston, TX

Nourish without guilt at Green Seed Vegan

By Johanna Ohm     9/6/12 7:00pm

Vegan is in vogue and Green Seed Vegan is a new, hip hangout for the foodie looking for fresh, raw and different vegan spins on oldschool classics.

The menu includes clever names and health-conscientious options with an emphasis on glutenfree, raw and dairyfree ingredients.

Tucked away in the Third Ward on the corner of Almeda and Wheeler streets, Green Seed Vegan attracts all types: athletes coming from across the street at Peggy Park, after-school children coming for a healthy snack, people vouching to start healthier lifestyles and vegetarians looking for cheaper alternatives to Ruggles Green and Whole Foods. The restaurant has a cafe-style vibe: Customers order at the high-stooled counter and can seat themselves either outdoors or indoors at tables that fit the overall "green" theme with their grass centerpieces.

Compared to vegan options at other Houston restaurants and specialty grocery stores, Green Seed
is affordable. Sandwiches and paninis are priced between $6 for the "pb&p" which is layered with caramelized plantains, spinach and nut butter, and $7 for others, such as the "zen" which boasts lemongrass garbanzo tempeh with arugula, carrots, cilantro, jalapeno and lemongrass aioli. Collard or brown rice wraps can be substituted for seed bread and sides can be added for an extra $1-2 for those craving cauliflower nuggets or kale chips (dehydrated, not fried). Other highlights on the menu include the "rawritto" which is wildly different from a classic burrito with its seasoned coconut meat, zucchini bacon and sunflower sprouts. The menu sounds intimidating and almost too healthy for those who do not wear Teva sandals or hair bandanas, but the options are equally exciting and flavorful for those with palates more ac-
customed to meat and potatoes. The dessert menu has ice cream, cheesecake and other classic sweets, though maybe not in the exact way mom used to prepare them. The cheesecake of the day last Tuesday was Raw Blackberry Basil and the soft-serve ice cream options were Cacao+Vanilla and Persimmon Mintade.

The waitstaff at Green Seed are knowledgeable about the ingredients used and are good at recommending options for those of us intimidated by a plethora of choices. Local ingredients abound, there are more elixer and juice choices

than one can find at Central Market and it all comes at very reasonable prices. Make a visit to try maca root in your smoothie or to see what a burger named "fungus amongus" would taste like. Bring both your vegan and carnivorous friends and discover the fun and eclectic atmosphere of this new restaurant just north of campus.