News in Brief

By Brooke Bullock     9/27/12 7:00pm

Disc Jockey Samantha Ronson will perform at the Centennial Esperanza taking place in the Founder's Court tent, Rice Program Council announced on Wednesday. 

RPC social Libby Ulman said a priority for Esperanza was getting a great DJ that combined star quality and skill level. 

"We believe [Ronson] brings both of these attributes to the table and are excited for the great atmosphere she will create the night of the event," Ulman, a Sid Richardson College senior, said. 

RPC External Vice President Shaurya Agarwal said no expense was spared when selecting a DJ. 

"The venue is the tent this year, so not as large of a portion of the budget went toward the venue, and more of the budget could go toward the DJ," Agarwal, a Brown College junior, said. 

RPC social Sachin Allahabadi said RPC does not wish to disclose its exact budget at this time but was lucky to have the support of the Centennial office. 

Allahabadi, a Sid Rich senior, said he believes Ronson will draw more students to Esperanza. 

"Overall, [Ronson] is an integral part of the night, but just one piece of many that will make this party truly unique," Allahabadi said. "In the Centennial tent with a large glass facade facing Lovett Hall at night, we will have a mixologist making three signature nonalcoholic drinks, lounge furniture, huge TV screens, awesome lighting, food trucks, an ice sculpture being carved during the event and many other attractions."

Agarwal said this Esperanza will be an events students will not want to miss. 

"It's going to be like no other formal you've ever been to," Agarwal said. "This is the Centennial Esperanza. It's once in a hundred years."

-Brooke Bullock