Wednesday, July 08, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Volleyball is ready to set

By Marie Walsh     8/22/12 7:00pm

Today kicks off the start to the Rice Women's Volleyball team's season. The Rice Invitational will be hosted at Tudor Field- house, where the Owls will be competing against the United States Air Force Acade- my, Arkansas State University and Brigham Young University.

The game against Air Force tonight at 7 p.m. will be the first matchup, and has special significance since it is the first time in 14 years the two teams have competed against each other. When the Western Ath- letic Conference began to split up, Air Force moved into the Mountain West Conference in 1999 and Rice University moved into Conference USA for the 2005 season.

The Rice Owls will be matched up against ASU of the Sun Belt Conference tomorrow

at 12:30 p.m. and BYU of the West Coast Conference at 7 p.m. The fact that the Owls have most recently been pre-ranked as the second favorite to win the C-USA Cham- pionship after Tulsa, after placing second last year, bodes well for this hard-working team. Along with this great ranking, six starters from last year's lineup return this year to hopefully continue their seasonal winning spree after last year's impressive 18-13 season. Two of these returning players are seniors Nancy Cole and junior Megan Murphy both of whom made the Pre-Season All C-USA team.

With such rankings, this weekend looks to be the start of a great season in the mak- ing. The team travels next week to start off their away games. The Owls take on the University of Texas at San Antonio on Tuesday, Aug. 28.

Fall student-athletes return to campus for summer workouts

After a three month hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rice athletics have taken the first steps towards their much-anticipated return. In a statement issued Thursday, Director of Athletics Joe Karlgaard announced that Rice is beginning the process of returning its student-athletes to campus.

After three enter transfer portal, Pera looks past tourney loss to next season

Rice men’s basketball ended their season early with a first-round Conference USA tournament exit, falling 76-85 to the No. 5 Florida International University Panthers on March 11. Three starters from that game have entered the transfer portal since that loss: sophomore Trey Murphy III, who was officially announced as a University of Virginia addition on April 16, as well as sophomore Drew Peterson and redshirt junior Josh Parish, both of whom are still in the portal.