Sunday, January 23, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Volleyball is ready to set

By Marie Walsh     8/22/12 7:00pm

Today kicks off the start to the Rice Women's Volleyball team's season. The Rice Invitational will be hosted at Tudor Field- house, where the Owls will be competing against the United States Air Force Acade- my, Arkansas State University and Brigham Young University.

The game against Air Force tonight at 7 p.m. will be the first matchup, and has special significance since it is the first time in 14 years the two teams have competed against each other. When the Western Ath- letic Conference began to split up, Air Force moved into the Mountain West Conference in 1999 and Rice University moved into Conference USA for the 2005 season.

The Rice Owls will be matched up against ASU of the Sun Belt Conference tomorrow

at 12:30 p.m. and BYU of the West Coast Conference at 7 p.m. The fact that the Owls have most recently been pre-ranked as the second favorite to win the C-USA Cham- pionship after Tulsa, after placing second last year, bodes well for this hard-working team. Along with this great ranking, six starters from last year's lineup return this year to hopefully continue their seasonal winning spree after last year's impressive 18-13 season. Two of these returning players are seniors Nancy Cole and junior Megan Murphy both of whom made the Pre-Season All C-USA team.

With such rankings, this weekend looks to be the start of a great season in the mak- ing. The team travels next week to start off their away games. The Owls take on the University of Texas at San Antonio on Tuesday, Aug. 28.

Men’s basketball gets outmanned by WKU

On Thursday, the Rice men’s basketball team faced off against the reigning Conference USA regular season champions, Western Kentucky University, in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Despite holding a halftime lead, Rice fell 80-66 for their seventh consecutive loss to Western Kentucky.  The loss brought their record to 9-6 on the season, and dropped their conference record to 2-2.

Men’s indoor track and field season starts to heat up

This past Friday, the Rice men’s track team opened up their indoor season at the Leonard Hilton Memorial Invitational at the University of Houston. As a small meet, only 10 athletes represented the Owls at the competition last weekend. Despite the small number of participants, four Owls reached the podium. According to head coach Jon Warren, the meet was a perfect way to kick off the season.