Friday, September 30, 2022 — Houston, TX

The Thresher's Guide to the Metro Rail

By Rice Thresher Staff     8/17/12 7:00pm

Bombay Pizza

$$$

Indian pizza might sound like a contra- diction, but Bombay Pizza offers some delicious topping combinations served on Naan bread.

3.8

McDonalds

$

If you really want a Big Mac and possess a lion's courage, perhaps the infamous McDonalds by the Greyhound bus station is for you. Prepare to be panhandled, stared at, and made extremely uncomfortable.

2.5

Hubcap Grill

$$

This burger place always has a wait and is only open for lunch, but its burgers are the second best in the city.  Try the Philly Cheese Steak burger.  

3.9

Breakfast Klub

$$

This is not just the best place for breakfast off the light rail, but in all of Houston as well. Their signature Chicken and Waffles or Catfish and Grits are a must. Regulars know that French Toast can be substituted for waf- fles when desired.

4.0

Reef

$$$$$$

One of the nicest restaurants in Houston, Reef serves amazing seafood. However, the price makes it a serious investment for a college stu- dent's budget. It is a good choice to celebrate something special or take a date you wish to impress. However, we all know that Rice students won't have dates to impress.

4.00

Tacos A go-go

$

This is the best Mexican food off the light rail. Its breakfast and desert tacos are the best.

3.6

Les Givrals

$

The Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwiches are delicious, filling and less than three dollars. Easily the best deal in all of Houston.

4.00

Bodegas Taco Shop

$$

Boring Mexican food that is more expensive and less convenient than Chipotle's.

3.0

Fiesta

$'s depend on grocery needs

Commonly known as Sketchi- esta, this supermarket is a con- venient stop off the light rail but not somewhere you would want to be alone after dark.

3.0

Chipotle:

$-$$

Zero switchblades Long known as the last resort for students when they can't stomach the servery, this burrito chain offers fast, reliable and gen- erally unremarkable food.

3.0

Legend:

- One $ for every five dollars per person (approximate) - A zero to five scale of to measure sketchiness. - Zero means completely comfortable, three means bring a friend and five means bring a friend who can bench over 200 lbs.

- The GPA grade denotes quality without regard to price.

SA General Elections rerun results in different outcome

The Student Association General Elections rerun resulted in a win for Ravi Sheth, a write-in candidate. Sheth, a Martel College junior, ran in the SA General Elections after the first election was appealed and ruled “partially invalid” by the University Court.The Student Association Elections Committee reran the General Elections and merged it with the previously scheduled SA Internal Vice President Elections. The rerun elections closed Feb. 28 at 11:59 p.m.Sheth said he was excited and humbled by the amount of support he got as a write-in candidate. He also said he was impressed with the level of voter turnout from the entire student body.“I think there was 1636 votes; that’s more than was seen in 2009, and [I think the turnout in 2009 was more than Rice] had seen in a decade, so this might be one of the highest voter turnout elections in Rice history,” Sheth said. “I’m really excited to see that level of student involvement and turnout, and I think it puts the [Student Association] in a really great position because we now have the attention and the engagement of the student body and I think that will really allow us to do great things over the next year.”Sheth will assume the role of SA president at Changeover on Monday, March 10. He said he already has ideas about what he wants to do during his term.“I have a list [of things I’d like to get accomplished in the next year], but I think a lot of them need to have buy-in from different parties before we officially announce them,” Sheth said. “I will be opening up creative proposals for something to do with the SA iPad because that should never have been bought with student money, so we’ll find something productive and good to do with it.”SA presidential candidate Trent Navran, who won the original election, said he was frustrated by the decision to rerun the election. He said he was initially disappointed by the outcome of the most recent election, but ultimately feels confident that Sheth will be a good SA president.“I was really impressed to see the energy that Ravi helped excite on campus, and the fact that so many people were talking about elections and that there was so much buzz was exciting,” Navran said. “As a friend and as someone who I’ve worked with, I think Ravi will make a fantastic president. I’m very proud of him and I look forward to working with him in a lot of capacities.”Although he did not win this election, Navran said he learned a lot about himself during the elections process, and he will use that insight to continue serving the Rice student body in other ways.“President or not, I’m really excited because I know I can still make a big impact on campus,” Navran said. “I’m going to be focusing a lot on social innovation and social entrepreneurship, which is something that happens a lot at Rice, but I want to work to build more of an identity and more programming and resources around that. It’s something I’ve cared about and expressed recently in my campaign, but I think I have valued and will now be able to focus on as a senior.”Baker College junior Abby Gordon won the race for SA Internal Vice President. The remainder of the items on the ballot were also rerun. A full list of the results, according to an email sent to the Rice community by current SA President Yoonjin Min, can be see below. ReferendumsThe referendum on the Ratification of the SA Constitution passed.The referendum on the Honor Council’s Proposed Constitutional Amendment passed.The referendum on the Rice Environmental Society’s Proposed New Blanket Tax failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax without the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax with the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.Elections for positionsRavi Sheth won the election for Student Association President.Abby Gordon won the election for Student Association Internal Vice President.Amritha Kanakamedala won the election for Student Association External Vice President.Olivia Hsia won the election for Student Association Secretary.Joan Liu won the election for Student Association Treasurer.Cathy Hu and Pooja Yesantharao won the election for RSVP Chair.Joann Pan won the election for RSVP Internal Vice Chair.Brian Baran won the election for University Court Chair.Aisha Jeeva won the election for Rice Program Council President.Sal Tijerina won the election for KTRU Station Manager.Miles Kruppa won the election for Thresher Editor-in-Chief.Rachel Gray won the election for RTV5 Station Manager.Lauren Thompson won the election for RTV5 Program Director.Julia Liu and Isabelle Lelogeais won the election for Honor Council Senior Class Representative.Michael Williams Hart, Josiah Grace and Seth Lauer won the election for Honor Council Junior Class Representative.Claire Bonnyman and Luke Van Der Spoel won the election for Honor Council Sophomore Class Representative.

Affirmation: The Future of Admissions

Fisher v. The University of Texas has revived one of the most polemical debates in America: whether race can be used as a factor in admissions to institutes of higher education. This issue undoubtedly resonates at Rice University, which, like most American universities, factors an applicant's ethnicity when selecting its freshman class. While the arguments concerning affirmative action are widely known, a true understanding of the issue requires both legal and historical background.