Sweet Paris crepes are no faux fare

By Emily Nichol     8/30/12 7:00pm

When I got back to Houston from studying abroad in France this spring, I knew there was one thing I would miss more than the boulevards, the tulips or the Eiffel Tower: the crepes. I thought my crepe withdrawal would be incur- able, but lo and behold, mere walking distance from campus is Sweet Paris, a brand new crepe restaurant in Rice Village.

Formerly a mediocre Thai buffet, whose owners built a roof over the alley between two adjacent restaurants, Sweet Paris' high ceilings, sweeping white beams and skylights transform the space. Mint green walls and crystal chandeliers are a modern revival of Belle Epoque cafes, and it is impossible to walk through the aisles of tables without drooling at other customers' perfectly presented fare. The one downside to the lovely looking openness is that it tends to get a bit noisy, but there are additional tables outside.

I ordered at the counter, behind which crepe masters expertly swirlled and flipped my choice crepe. The menu is a bit repetitive but includes a comprehensive array of classics in addition to inventive sweet, savory and breakfast crepes (breakfast is served all day). Do not expect to find anything that will satisfy a diet: These babies are rich. Wine, cider, coffee and Orangina are available to compliment your meal.

The croque madame breakfast crepe was simply magical: razor thin pancake layers filled with ham, gruyere, scrambled eggs and bechamel sauce. The pancake managed to be crispy and spongy at the same time, and its light sweetness meshed with the salty, creamy bechamel and fluffy eggs.

The prosciutto crepe, which was stuffed with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil, was also a delectable pairing of flavors, but it did seem to be missing something - maybe some pesto or other sauce would have done

the trick. Both crepes were elegantly folded and artistically present- ed, but they were definitely not too beautiful to completely devour.

The lemon and sugar crepe, with fresh lemon, whipped butter and vanilla bean sugar, was delightfully gooey and topped with freshly whipped chantilly. I can- not wait to try the very berry creme brulee, with fresh berries and torched vanilla creme. All of the sweet crepes are avail- able with ice cream on top for those feeling extra decadent.

Another great aspect about Sweet Paris is its global consciousness. For each crepe purchased, $0.25 is donated to the World Food Program USA to fund school lunches for children in need.

This place would be great for a date night or an after-movie snack; if only it stayed open past 9 p.m., these crepes would be ideal midnight snacks. The classy decor and familiar options also make this an elegant restaurant to bring visiting parents to for a quick bite close to cam- pus. Either way, Sweet Paris is a great option for decently priced and delicious French street fare, not too far from your servery.