Saturday, December 02, 2023 — Houston, TX

Letter to the editor

To the Editor:

I was quoted in last issue's "Un-Recap" article. In this article, my comments were taken out of context. I wanted to reiterate that Unconvention was an excellent event which was able to get over 500 students, faculty, staff and alumni volunteers involved in over 120 events over the course of five days. As I helped organize and run some of the events myself, I heard about how all the students involved with the Unconvention enjoyed it. I applaud all of those involved for their efforts, and I am looking forward to welcoming the Houston community to Rice for many years to come.

Tawfik Jarjour is a graduate of McMurtry College, class of 2012.

Letter to the Editor: Pro-autonomy after Roe: what the life debate ignores

When “Pro-Life After Roe” was published in the Thresher, we were in the midst of finalizing a semester-long report on the state of reproductive rights in Texas. We had spent the day compiling firsthand accounts of the panic, pain and trauma produced by abortion bans. It felt necessary to address the guest opinion and confront the harms of abortion restrictions. 

We should educate ourselves on Rice’s history

Rice’s 111-year history is marked by lots of positive impact — and plenty of harmful actions. William Marsh Rice, the university’s founder and namesake, was a slave owner, and from the school’s establishment as a free institution for only white students to Ku Klux Klan meetings occurring on Rice property, the connections to segregation and racial injustice cannot be denied.