UnConvention kicks off

By Molly Chiu     4/12/12 7:00pm

This weekend, Rice University is inviting Houstonians to come inside the hedges for the UnConvention, a campus-wide open house that will run through Sunday, April 15. More than 120 events, free and open to the public, will be held as part of the celebration for the upcoming centennial.

"The UnConvention is demonstrating all aspects of Rice's mission - education, research, community service - to our home city of Houston," President David Leebron said.

Vice President for Public Affairs Linda Thrane said that the UnConvention is a chance to open the hedges.

"This is our way to say, 'Houston, you're invited.'" Thrane said. "We hope there's something for everyone."

Public Affairs Director of Marketing Bill Courtney said his inspiration for the UnConvention came from articles in Campaniles from the 1920s about Rice's Engineering Show.

"They would have 10,000 people from Houston come to see the latest marvels like X-ray machines," Courtney said. "This used to be just an engineering show. It's interesting to see how the university has grown."

According to Courtney, every department on campus will be offering something at the UnConvention. Houstonians can attend events like an engineering design competition, concerts at the Shepherd School of Music, art exhibits, athletic events, an open house at the Baker Institute for Public Policy, a fundraiser called Pancakes for Parkinson's and a ceremonial tree planting near the Rice Memorial Chapel to commemorate Rice's recent naming as a Tree Campus USA.

In order to attract Houstonians, advertisement campaigns for the UnConvention have appeared all over Houston, including on local news stations and newspapers, billboards, previews at the movie theaters and Metro LightRail trains, Courtney said.

Courtney said that there will be events aimed at children as well, including a demonstration by the engineering department using liquid nitrogen to make instant ice cream, activities at Fondren Library and an appearance by an owl from the Houston Zoo.

"We're hoping to attract people who have never been to the Rice campus before," Courtney said. "We want them to see us as a welcoming place."

Leebron said that he hopes the UnConvention will inspire visitors to come back to Rice on a regular basis.

"I hope that our visitors will enjoy Rice's beautiful, tree-filled campus and come away with a strong understanding that Rice University is a resource that serves the city of Houston and is available for all to take advantage of," Leebron said. "They will see Rice is a great place to come to for intellectually stimulating lectures, wonderful music concerts and theater performances, inspiring art displays, lively sporting events, and even a wonderful location for a cup of coffee and engaging conversation."

To see a full schedule of events for the UnConvention, visit unconvention.rice.edu.

How is Rice unconventional?

"People at Rice are proud of our quirkiness. We have a great sense of humor as a culture. We study hard, we play hard, and we enjoy each other."

Linda Thrane, Vice President of Public Affairs

"I think the openness of the student body is very unconventional. Unlike at other colleges, Rice students are able to have meaningful conversations about controversial topics like our sexuality and faith. I think it's the mentality that others might always know something that we don't which creates this acceptance that allows the student body to share openly."

Hanszen College sophomore Rui Wang

"Rice is a really great example of a rare balance between what is considered conventional wisdom - as in being good at school - and things that make each Rice student unique, things that they enjoy and are passionate about that are different from those that others are interested in."

Wiess College junior Yahaira Verdejo

"Rice is like high school flipped upside down: the nerds are popular."

Martel College senior Katie Donovan

"The attitude and the willingness [of students] to investigate anything and everything, and then come up with some startling answers makes Rice unconventional."

Bill Courtney, Public Affairs Director of Marketing

"Even though Rice is one of the smallest of the top research universities, it has global reach and impact. And while we take pride in our home city and state, 20 percent of our students come from other countries, and indeed 22 percent of our faculty are foreign citizens."

President David Leebron

"The students make Rice unconventional. In other schools you can have kids who are exceptionally gifted at math and science, but only here do students walk around campus on stilts. I know people who try to tame squirrels to be their pets, which really can't happen in any other place."

Brown College freshman David Nichol

"Rice is not a big university, so we really feel close and can carry out a conversation like a small family."

Senior Lecturer at the Center for the Study of Languages Jose Narbona