Wednesday, May 01, 2024 — Houston, TX

Gunman tries to rob Rice employee near stadium

By Molly Chiu     4/12/12 7:00pm

A Rice University employee was the victim of an attempted armed robbery that occurred on the sidewalk by the north side of Rice Stadium on Wednesday, April 4.

The employee had nothing stolen from her and sustained no injuries, according to a campus-wide email alert sent out by Rice University Police Department Captain Clemente Rodriguez on Thursday, April 5, a few hours after the attack was reported.

"The employee described the suspect as a black male in his 40s, between 5' 10'' and 6' tall, with short black hair. He was wearing a jogging suit with red pants and a blue top," Rodriguez's email stated.

The employee reported that the man held her at gunpoint, demanded money, rummaged through her purse and, after not taking anything, pushed her over before running away in the direction West Lot No. 3, according to the email Rodriguez sent out.

Rodriguez said he thinks this attempted robbery serves as a reminder to the Rice community to be conscious of its surroundings.

"While I believe the campus remains a safe place, this incident does serve as a reminder that we are located in a large metropolitan city, and we are not completely immune to crime," Rodriguez said.

In order to stay safe on campus, Rodriguez said he recommended that students travel in groups at night and stay in well-lit and well-traveled areas.

"When possible, let someone know where you are going and when you should be back," Rodriguez said. "That way, if you do not show up on time, they can follow up to make sure that you are OK."

Rodriguez said students should not hesitate to call RUPD in questionable situations.

"Go with your gut," Rodriguez said. "If something makes you uncomfortable, then try to remove yourself from the situation and call RUPD."

Rodriguez added that students should make sure to carry charged cell phones with RUPD's number programmed in when they go out and the Houston Police Department's number when off campus."

Brown College sophomore Alison Moscoso said she worries about safety at night.

"When I'm parking my car [in West Lot] late at night, I feel very concerned about my safety," Moscoso said. "I ride my bike to try and improve my safety, and I stay very conscious of my surroundings. It's only when I arrive back at Brown that I can relax."

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call RUPD at 713-348-6000.