Monday, December 06, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Wade sets school record

By Dan Elledge     3/6/12 6:00pm

With the last days of 40-degree weather behind us, the indoor season is concluding as spring comes into full bloom and the senior distance runners are going out with a bang, none more so than Becky Wade and Allison Pye.

In the span of 7 days, Wade won the mile at the Conference USA Indoor Championships on Feb. 26 with a time of 4:48.32, which is her season best, and finished second in the 3,000-meter with a time of 9:32.35. The mile win was the third for Wade at the C-USA Indoor Championships in an illustrious career, but she would top herself a week later at the Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame University where she recorded a Rice school record in the 5,000-meter with a time of 16:02.13.

Even though she was slightly overshadowed by Wade, Pye had an incredible week as well. She finished third at the C-USA Championships in the 5,000-meter as she recorded a time of 16:18.24, which before Wade broke it at Notre Dame, was Rice's school record. She also ran a strong race in the 3,000-meter as she finished behind Wade in fourth with a time of 9:38.33. At the Alex Wilson Invitational in South Bend, Ind., Pye finished the 5,000-meter with a time of 16:29.21 to place sixth. Although their indoor careers are done, Pye and Wade are ready to finish off their careers in style as the outdoor season begins next Wednesday.

Led by Wade and Pye, the Owls finished fifth at the C-USA Indoor Championships out of 12 teams. Rice scored 51 points on the weekend, trailing the meet winners, East Carolina University, as well as the University of Central Florida, the University of Houston and the University of Memphis. Besides Wade and Pye, the Owls were led by decent performances from senior middle-distance runners Keltie John and Sophie Peeters, who finished seventh and eighth respectively in the 800-meter. John posted a time of 2:13.82 while Peeters finished right behind her with a time of 2:14.01.

The distance medley relay also enjoyed success during the championships as they posted a fourth place finish. Wade led the charge along with John, sophomore distance runner Halsey Fowler and sophomore sprinter Sojourner Brown.

Not to be outshined by the track events, the field participants also helped the Owls gain some points. Senior Cleona Oliver recorded a pole vault height of 3.76 meters, which was strong enough to give her a second place finish. A trio of freshman pole vaulters, Chaney Turney, Marielle Brisbois and Alicia Janke, each jumped a height of 3.51 meters, which were personal bests and led to a tie for eighth place. In the weight throw, senior Brittany Brown recorded a personal best as she finished in seventh place with a toss of 17.14 meters.

With a spirited performance at the conference championships, most of the Owls now turn their attention to the outdoor season with the Shirley Crowe Multi-Events on March 14 and 15 at Holloway Field and Ley Track followed by the Texas Southern Relays on March 16 and 17.

Volleyball sweeps San Diego in NCAA tourney, set for rematch with Texas

Rice volleyball will get another shot at No. 2 University of Texas, Austin after they swept the University of San Diego on Thursday in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Owls took all three sets against the Toreros by at least five points, en route to the second victory in an NCAA tournament game in program history. After the game, head coach Genny Volpe said she was confident from the get-go. 

Does this count as progress? Football needs a more consistent formula

Most of the way through the 2019 season, I thought that Rice had some of the worst luck in all of college football. Through nine games, the Owls were winless, despite four one-score losses, including an eight-point loss to a Baylor University team that ended the season ranked in the top 15. All signs indicated that the Owls were much better than their 0-9 record and that their bad luck in close games was long overdue to flip. The Owls ended that season with a three-game winning streak, including two one-possession wins, appeared to confirm that theory.

Recap: Football ends season with comeback win over LA Tech

On Saturday, Rice football came back from a ten point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat Louisiana Tech University 35-31 on Senior Day. The come-from-behind win snapped a four-game losing streak and tallied the Owls fourth win of the season, moving their record to 4-8 and 3-5 in Conference-USA.