Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Wade finishes strong at NCAA championships

By Thresher Staff Reports     3/14/12 7:00pm

With a multitude of records to her name, fifth-year senior Becky Wade has already cemented herself as one of the greatest distance runners in Rice history. But in her five years at Rice, Wade had yet to qualify for the NCAA Indoor National meet to this point, despite making the trip for the NCAA Outdoor National meet two times and the NCAA Cross Country meet once.

But after a solid year competing in the 5,000-meter run, including a personal best time of 16:03 at the Notre Dame Last Chance Meet on March 2, Wade was up for the challenge along with 15 other runners from across the country. Before her star showing at the Notre Dame Last Chance Meet, Wade was on the cusp of qualifying for the national meet but still needed another effort to ensure her spot among the top 16. Head Coach Jim Bevan knew exactly what it would take to book her trip to nationals.

"I told her it would probably take a 16:03 to win it, and she ran a 16:03," a smiling Bevan said. "Although she didn't win it, her main focus was getting that time and not as much on the individual title."

But despite her trip to Nampa, Idaho, a mere 22 miles from Boise, to act as an ambassador for the Rice track brand, Wade came up short of her first-ever individual national championship, finishing 13th.

"Becky ran better than she was seeded, coming in seeded 15th," Bevan said. "She really wasn't 'on' tonight, but gave a great effort, going out in 5:05 for the mile, the fastest she's gone out all year. I'm proud of her just getting here and running with the best in the nation."

Wade's third-place performance at Notre Dame University was certainly inspiring and gave her hope that despite her low seeding relative to the other competitors, she would be able to place inside the top 10 and be named First Team All-America.

Wade was not given much credence going into the meet, although that is no slight for anyone who has earned a spot among the top runners in the nation. With Wade usually running at or near the front of every race this season, the national meet field was way out of her element, with the competitors leaving their original bunched formation in favor of a more strung-out race just 1,500 meters into the race. With the race halfway over, Wade was near the 10th-place spot but ultimately faded somewhat to finish in 13th. An additional element that made it tougher for Wade was the fact that she had not raced against any of the other runners before, not having run against Sara Sutherland of The University of Texas or Natosha Rogers of Texas A&M University at the Texas A&M Invitational. This meant she was not able to anticipate the individual styles of the other runners, like some of the runners from the Big 12 Conference would have been able to.

"Ultimately, it was great to represent to Rice at nationals, but I should have done a lot better," Wade said. "I was pretty far back from my personal best, and I didn't want to end my indoor career that way. I think I pushed myself hard, but there's a bit of a switch in mentality when you aren't in contention for first place. Your drive is not as tangible when the stakes aren't quite as high."

Still, Wade was able to look back on a season in which she placed either first or second in every single mile or 3,000-meter run that she competed in this year, a remarkable feat considering that she was running in nationally renowned events such as the Texas A&M Invitational and the Meyo Invitational. Wade was quick to give the credit to the help of her coach.

"I haven't had great starts to any of my seasons this year so far, but Jim's pulled me around when I needed to be pulled around," Wade said. "I think there's a lot to be said for his training and the way that he believes in me even when I'm not performing great."

The race has not ended for Wade yet, with another opportunity to add to her national meet total during the outdoor season that begins today with the Texas Southern University Relays and continues with the 30th Victor Lopez Classic hosted by Rice next weekend.

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.