Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Online comment of the week

In response to "TCU drug scandal inflated" (Feb. 24, 2012):

Total denial and supreme minimalism. Your article is completely naked. All student-athletes know they are signing up to represent an institution. Every institution knows that if it recruits student-athletes who don't have the character to stay clean and sober in college, the institution will suffer greatly. Hey, the last time I checked, there weren't too many Christian dogmas that included drug use/dealing beyond a little wine at communion. The only thing that can redeem TCU after this is the most transparent overhaul of recruiting standards and monitoring standards for every athletic team on campus for years to come. The energy this will absorb out of the athletic program will and should be exhaustive. This is not just an issue where football players were caught being normal. Are you nuts?

j.wolfe

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

The Honor Council needs to act more responsibly

For the past year, I have served as an at-large representative on the Rice Honor Council. I have sat through dozens of cases, read hundreds of pages of evidence and spent countless hours working to improve the transparency and fairness of the Honor System. While there are a myriad of issues with the Honor System, as there are with any institutional system, there is one in particular that needs to be addressed with expediency. The Honor Council is currently not an effective deliberative body due to the general lack of engagement from some of its members, which include elected representatives.