Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

New writing program will lead to stronger students

By Staff Editorial     3/6/12 6:00pm

The implementation of the new writing center in the fall of 2012 should help improve more than just writing on campus. First of all, it will hopefully help eliminate the age-old stigma on campus that taking a COMM class means you cannot write. With the requirement that everyone on campus has to take a writing seminar in his or her freshman year, we believe that the university will have leveled the playing field.

Though many engineers have objected to the new requirement, the fact that the seminar will count for distribution credit is a decision that makes it reasonable for students from all majors to be able to take this class. Furthermore, each department may choose to allow specific seminars to count for major requirements, which will help alleviate other worries that the class will take up too much time.

Additionally, since students from many different majors may be put together in the same classes, people from diverse majors will have the chance to get to know each other. Since the entire campus will eventually have taken a freshman seminar, we hope the campus cultural divide between engineering and humanities majors is on its way to being bridged.

Since students will have to take the class in their freshman year, they will be able to use what they learn for the rest of their time at Rice. Writing education in high school is often not standardized, so students come into Rice with varying degrees of writing ability. Writing is important for all majors and career paths, so an ability to write well can only help Rice students in the future.

With the new Center for Written, Oral and Visual Communication, which will be located on the second floor of Fondren, the importance of writing will be further solidified on campus. The accesibilty of the area for the center should make it convenient for students who need communication help. We are happy the university has decided to fund this project and to give it the prominence that it deserves.

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

The Honor Council needs to act more responsibly

For the past year, I have served as an at-large representative on the Rice Honor Council. I have sat through dozens of cases, read hundreds of pages of evidence and spent countless hours working to improve the transparency and fairness of the Honor System. While there are a myriad of issues with the Honor System, as there are with any institutional system, there is one in particular that needs to be addressed with expediency. The Honor Council is currently not an effective deliberative body due to the general lack of engagement from some of its members, which include elected representatives.