Saturday, March 02, 2024 — Houston, TX

Extended South Cafe hours cater to athletes

By Staff Editorial     3/13/12 7:00pm

Housing and Dining has recently made the decision to extend its hours of operation for the South Cafe. This means that the cafe will open for 30 minutes (from 7:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.) after South Servery closes. The new changes are excellent for those who eat late, especially athletes, who have always had problems with getting to the servery before it closes at 7:30 p.m.

H&D is making small steps to accommodate students who cannot attend regular dinner hours. Not only can athletes receive dinner later, but students who crave a second dinner can swipe into the South Cafe and pay for an additional meal with their tetra points.

The Thresher supports H&D and their endeavors, but we hope that the hours will become an extension of the servery rather than just South Cafe in the future. Perhaps H&D will consider changing dinner time from 5:30 -7:30 p.m. to 6-8 p.m. While this 30 minute change is small, it allows athletes to have access to the servery and their college community, and 6 p.m. is still early enough to appease the students who get hungry early.

Beyond Fondy 24/7: advocating for fairness

An editorial “24/7 Fondy presents more cons than pros” published Jan. 16 raised valid concerns about the potential drawbacks of Fondren Library operating 24/7. However, this argument barely scratches the surface, overlooking a critical aspect — the well-being of the dedicated staff who operate the library. 

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.