Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Changes to Beer Bike: a mixed bag

By Staff Editorial     3/29/12 7:00pm

Beer Bike is tomorrow, and while colleges will be celebrating with established traditions, the campus-wide coordinators and Student Judicial Programs are introducing several changes that will alter the dynamic of the event (see story, pg. 1). There are three significant changes being made to Beer Bike. However, not all of these changes are negative. First, the balloon fight will be held at two different stops. This change is supposed to get more students to the bike races. The second stop will be at the intramural fields and would therefore create a shorter walk to the races for students. The Thresher supports the new balloon fight structure and agrees that if students are willing to walk to the second stop and throw more balloons, they will also be willing to travel the short distance to the bike races.

The second change being made this year is the elimination of student bleachers at the races. We feel that this is an unfortunate decision because it may decrease the incentive to attend the races if students know they will be forced to stand in the heat. It is up to the separate colleges to provide seating arrangements for their college, if they choose. However, we feel that colleges should not have to spend their already tight budgets on seating. We hope that the passage of the Beer Bike blanket tax increase will mean that this is not a permanent arrangement.

The final major change is the six-keg limit being created by SJP. For those unaware of the new rule, SJP recently declared that colleges are only allowed six registered kegs for the week of Beer Bike. Unfortunately, the rule was enacted with little preparation time for the college Beer Bike coordinators. Many coordinators ordered their kegs early and were left in a difficult position when the new rule caught wind. While we support SJP's decision to place a limit of registered kegs on colleges, it is important for SJP to understand that six kegs is an insubstantial amount for all of Willy Week. SJP should consider increasing the limit to eight or nine kegs to better suit the colleges' needs.

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

The Honor Council needs to act more responsibly

For the past year, I have served as an at-large representative on the Rice Honor Council. I have sat through dozens of cases, read hundreds of pages of evidence and spent countless hours working to improve the transparency and fairness of the Honor System. While there are a myriad of issues with the Honor System, as there are with any institutional system, there is one in particular that needs to be addressed with expediency. The Honor Council is currently not an effective deliberative body due to the general lack of engagement from some of its members, which include elected representatives.