Campus Folk: Look at Rice's own master chef

By Farrah Madanay     3/13/12 7:00pm

Baker Kitchen Executive Chef Cari Clark has tasted cuisines from around the world, so it may come as a surprise to learn that her favorite food is something even the less traveled may well be familiar with: Rice Krispies treats. For Clark, her love of Rice Krispies treats makes sense in the context of her approach to cooking: minimal ingredients, simple dishes.

Though Baker College servery's central location on campus is convenient for students to drop in for lunch between classes, location cannot solely account for the flocks of students from all of the residential colleges that opt to get breakfast, lunch and dinner from the Baker Kitchen. 

"I would like to think they like our style of cooking: fresh and simple with everything produced in our kitchen, including dressing, soups and sauces," Clark said. "Fresh with healthy options is our goal."

Clark, who said she loves cooking all food, did not always dream of farm-to-fork dinners and managing a university kitchen with a staff of five. Rather, the West Texas native graduated from Texas A&M University as a geologist. After working in the realm of  Earth science for five years, she decided to swap her chisel for a chef's knife and attend the California Culinary Academy.

Clark first shared her culinary expertise with the Rice University community as the executive chef of the Cohen House in the '90s. After living a stint in the U.K., Clark returned to the U.S. and jumped on the opportunity to open the new Baker Kitchen.

"I admire my colleagues at the large serveries for the job they do seven days a week, but I love my home here at Baker," Clark said.

servery is not open on the weekends is because of the small kitchen staff. Though Clark said no one ever has to work a double shift, the reputation of the Baker servery certainly keeps the staff on its toes. However, one of the benefits Clark said she enjoys from a smaller kitchen is the ability to collaborate with a farm 10 miles away from campus.

"At Baker, we have the opportunity to practice farm-to-fork on a weekly basis," Clark said. "We get seasonal produce from Atkinson Farms every week, and in return, we save our compostable scraps, which they distribute amongst the farmers at the Rice Farmers Market on Tuesdays."

Clark's menus are reflective of her love of local cuisine. In addition to integrating food from Atkinson Farms, she has incorporated freshly picked produce from the community garden classes at Rice. Clark said her dishes are also inspired by her travels abroad. Her adventurous palette has led her to taste the tripe of Brittany, the kabobs of Istanbul and the paella of Valencia.

"To me, food is not just something you need to keep you alive but a celebration meant to be enjoyed," Clark said. "I celebrate From Poland to Egypt, Switzerland to Italy, Clark has celebrated local food and drink from many regions. She said her travels are not solely about experiencing local cuisines, but also about exploring the history of food in each region.

Clark does outsource some of her menu items to the certified pastry chef at East Servery, who makes some of Baker's desserts, breads and breakfast muffins. As for her own cooking, Clark said she appreciates the intimate setting of the Baker Kitchen because she is able to have a hand in all the dishes.

"If someone asks what's in the soup, I know exactly what's in it," she said.

Though Clark said she would never feed students anything she does not herself find delicious, she welcomes suggestions and comments. Students and colleagues may reach her by phone or by email, both available on the Rice Dining website.

"I am passionate about food and love the instant gratification it gives me when I make someone happy," Clark said.

Campus Folk tells the often-unknown stories of some of Rice's most intriguing people. To suggest  a person email Farrah at flm1@rice.edu.

Students convert Housing and Dining vehicle to electric

Four Rice teams, encompassing over 20 students, worked over the past year to convert a 1997 Chevrolet P30 Rice Housing and Dining vehicle into a fully electric vehicle. The teams finalized the van’s conversion before its senior design debut at the Ion last Thursday. Two teams, the thermal management and dashboard design teams, received awards following the showcase.

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.